do you know?

If you have a life ins policy and the beneficaray is your child who lives with his mother and u die b4 the child is 18 doesnt the mother get control of the money or NO?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• This sounds kinda errie.. are you planning something?
    Anonymous

• lol i guess only people on here would think that nope not at all planning anything asking cuz my DH has his first son as bene will not put our daughter just thinking its kinda messed up that he worries more about his first and his X wife than he does his now family is all
    Anonymous

• He should talk to a lawyer. The money can be put into a trust for the daughter so the mom cannot touch it at all.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:56 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• yes talk to a lawyer. In our will we stipulate the kids go to my sil and the money is controlled FOR THE KIDS by a different adult (my bil). Your dh should be able to set up something similar. But I believe you need a will. Just doing it on the forms for the insurance won't do the same thing, I don't think.
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 12:54 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Typically, if the beneficiary is a minor, it will not be able to be touched until the child is 18, however, I would suggest your DH name an adult as the beneficiary. One whom he can trust to look after his child(ren) in the case that the God forbid were to happen.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 10:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2009