Planned c-section & scared. Want advice.

My first son was an emergency csection and I had general anesthesia. This time I will have a planned one. I am a little scared. Since I was under general anesthesia I did not have an epidural or know what it's like when they pull the baby out. Any advice???

amys2boys

Asked by amys2boys at 3:15 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Don't be scared I was awake and concious for my C-section, it's scary because you're not sure what you're going to go through. But my experience was painless other then the pressure of them pushing on my stomach to move the baby down farther to pull him out. I describe it as feeling like an elephant sitting on me, but then again it wasn't painful for me. It's a brief moment of heavy pressure then before you know it the baby is out and they are showing you your beautiful little one.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 3:17 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• You'll come through it fine and be so excited about your baby that you will hardly notice what is going on. Good luck to you and hugs to you and your baby. :)

Answer by Bmat at 3:32 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I can't help you on what to expect with an epidural from personal experience --- I chose general anesthesia for all of my planned Csections (that IS an option if you'd rather go that way -- you may just have to be firm in your decision).

Everyone I've known to get an epidural (and many others I know of) has had complaints about them. Everything from them not taking full effect to permanent nerve damage --- big reasons I opted to skip that route.

But then I've heard lots of stories of how wonderful they are and that they're no big deal.

If you're nervous, I'd suggest you contact the hospital & get the name of the anesthesiologist who will do yours & reasearch him beforehand -- make sure of his credentials & check for complaints against him. Or, you could opt for general again.

G'luck
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 3:34 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• You will actually get a spinal block for your c-section which is slightly different than an epidural. they will make sure before they do ANYTHING that you have absolutly no sensation so you don't have to worry about it not working. They'll numb you up with a small shot that kind of stings before they actually place the spinal so really the only discomfort you will feel is about 5 seconds when the numbing medicine is taking affect. I had an epidural with my daughter and have had no problems or side affects, same with the 6 other women I know who have had them. People that end up with damage or problems are definitly in the minority. Ask to have a pre-surgery consult with your anasthesiologist and he will be able to put a lot of your fears to rest. Good luck and COngratulations!
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 3:46 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Cancel it and have a VBAC.
    Anonymous

• I had an epidural and a c section. It was still one of the best days of my life. It was the day that I met my beautiful daughter. They gave me the epidural and after it had taken effect, they took my baby out and placed her on my chest. I had to wait to actually keep her with me until the epidural wore off. Every ten minutes I asked if I could have her and they kept asking if I could wiggle my toes. I wast trying sooooo hard. Finally I did it, and I got my baby girl. I wasn't allowed to keep her with me until I could walk to the bathroom. The first night, against the nurses advice I got them to help me to the bathroom. The next day I walked and it hurt like hell, but I got my baby so it was worth it. I healed really fast and I think it is because I pushed myself.
    Stacey
    stassy77

Answer by stassy77 at 4:27 PM on Feb. 13, 2009