Nightgowns during labor?

Im due in JULY Hot hot hot! And i hated the gown they had me wear. Is there someone who knows where i can get one thats more comfy and just bring it with me...? I plan on not getting an EPI right away so i want to walk around and be free and comfy while i can. But i know they need it to be easy to check me and stuff like that... Any ideas?

BallardMomma

Asked by BallardMomma at 3:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• http://www.birthinbinsi.com/index.htm is the best. There are other companies that you can google "birthing gown" to find but they are few and far between. Weber Wear was one such company I found online that made them and I was NOT satisfied with them at all (none of their email addresses work and it took them 5+ weeks to send me my gown and I got it 4 days after my son was born). walnutgrovetradition.etsy.com has a birthing gown in stock. You can try searching on Etsy.com for someone who hand sews them. They're very expensive especially for the mess you tend to make in them lol (even if you're water doesn't break while wearing one, think of all of the other labor goo that comes out). Next time, I plan on just wearing whatever crap the hospital has. I bled so much afterward, even if I had a few of my own to change into, I would have gone through them in a few hours and ended up in the hospital's gowns anyway.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 4:57 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Keep in mind your butt's going to be wet the whole time after your water breaks...I'd wear the new gown after labor :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:39 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• my water might break before i even go to the hospital.. who knows... I plan on having another sleeper after i give birth because ill want to shower and what not...And be CLEAN! :)
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 3:41 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I would just say that don't get attached to it because of all the grossness that happens during labor and delivery...lube, blood, fluid...egh. I changed into mine right after birth and didn't care too much about the gown during labor, but I was content to be in bed. I can definitely see where having your butt hanging out of a hospital gown would not be appealing. I guess just try to find one long enough to not have to worry but still open to where they can check you...you can always pull it up for that. I changed into one after birth that was pretty low cut so I could nurse easily.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 3:51 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Maybe check into a nursing gown (maybe one on clearance in case you don't want to wash it). Being free to move is great during labor & it should give you coverage, not be too tight/restrictive. You can always push bottomless with a sports bra or tank top on (or bathing suit top if you're in the tub) They've seen it all and it's not like the gown covers that much with your legs up. I switched to pants & a button top when I got into my postpartum room.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 3:54 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I didn't have my own robe or gown with my but I was in my own T-shirt and cami the whole time. In fact they never even asked me to change. Maybe buy your own gown to walk around in but when you're ready for all the good stuff take it off and just wear your own shirt. Once you're in the bed with the epidural you won't be getting back up and they have you covered so it wouldn't make a difference if you had a gown on or not. I never wore one.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:00 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• i wanted to be able to walk around too but went into labor early so i was in bed the whole time. even though i had an epidural they let me wear my cami and just the sheet on bottom. i wouldn't worry about what you wear as long as it's comfortable and accessible. just check with the hospital to see if they have any special policies.
    chazsmom

Answer by chazsmom at 5:01 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• you may want to make sure your hospital will allow you to wear it. some wont let you wear your own stuff.
    Mama2Joshy

Answer by Mama2Joshy at 5:03 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I wore the hospital gown because labor is very very messy!!!
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 5:05 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I was in the gown and I didn't wear or use anything I brought with me. The hospital provided me with toiletries and I was only there for one night anyway.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 5:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2009