Has anyone bought any of those playards for when your baby starts crawling and walking?

The ones where they have little stations to go to and so they can crawl around quite a bit? Was it worth the price? I see some for $150 and then you need to buy the extension pieces if you want it a bit bigger. I've seen them go as high as $300 too. I just don't want to waste the money if they're not that great. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't have them but I know someone who has them for her 19 month old twins and loves them. It's good because they're still on the floor and have lots of room to move around and don't feel as "trapped" as being in a play pen. Only draw back in that you have to have a space in your house to keep them up. They do take up a lot of room and if you don't want to go through the hassel of packing them up and putting them away each day, then they tend to just take up space.
    Anonymous

• I have three kids... I just found it easier to babyproof my living room and give them free reign of that space. You know how they say the grass is always greener on the other side? That's how my kids felt about playards/fences and baby gates... no matter how many things I put in, nothing was as much fun as what was on the outside! If I were you I would save my money and just create a safe environment for them to play within the space you already have. JMO!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:53 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I agree with Freela. The whole point of a baby's activities is to interact with the world. A real pile of laundry to toss, magazine to rip up (when they're old enough not to eat it!), develops much better brain power than artificial amusements. The child wants to imitate, and needs to learn about real substances, so as a parent you can help by letting the child do actions which you are doing (yes, this does mean you must think about what your child is seeing you do) by especially showing the child things you want them to see - like being extra gentle with the cat, or playing with a toy.AND as to learning about the real substances in the world, try to have toys made of natural materials so they can get familiar with wood, wool, silk, cotton, seashells, apples/oranges, etc., instead of fakey plastic which has no true texture, weight, smell ... They want to be WITH you and imitate you - you are their world - that is such a joy !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:54 PM on Feb. 8, 2009