How many hours of sleep should a 3 year old get?

My son turned 3 in Dec. I am curious to know how many hours he should sleep because I am not sure if we are requesting him to get too much sleep. He is typically asleep around 9 p.m. and gets up around 6:30 a.m. which is around 9 & 1/2 hours at night and then he takes around an hour to an hour and a half nap......is that too much?

KaydenJamesmom

Asked by KaydenJamesmom at 4:05 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If he's sleeping, then it's not too much. If he's fighting the nap, then eliminate that. Let him tell you what's too much because while there are general guidelines, it's a broad spectrum and each child is different. As long as he's actually sleeping during that time, then it's fine. My son also get's about 9-10 hours at night and between 30-90 minutes nap during the day. Sometimes more, sometimes less. As it is, he's 3 1/2 and starting to phase out of the afternoon naps and he's starting to wake up a bit earlier in the morning.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 4:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• My 3 year old goes to bed at 8pm and is up about 6:30am. He naps for 1 1/2-2 hours. This is what works for him.

My oldest boy...when he was three...went to b ed at 8pm, woke at 6am and wasn't napping.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:58 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I agree with JPsMommy's answer.....each child is different. My 3 year old daughter goes to bed at 8pm and gets up around 7am usually. She doesn't nap. She's also been getting up in the middle of the night recently(not fun!!). I also think the more sleep a child gets, the better. My children always function better when they've had a full night's rest!!!
    LisaPW1008

Answer by LisaPW1008 at 6:10 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• My son is 4, but he has been sleeping 10-12 hours every night, with no nap in the day, since he was 2 1/2. It works for him, but it may not work for every child.
    gilroy87

Answer by gilroy87 at 10:13 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Thank you so much for all the answers and advice! It sounds like we are on the right track but I just wanted to touch base! Thanks again! :)
    KaydenJamesmom

Answer by KaydenJamesmom at 10:28 PM on Feb. 8, 2009