Is it normal to feel really panicky when leaving your children?

I had my oldest in daycare when he was three months old and everything was fine never had a problem until he started to walk and the daycare worker got agravated with him and pulled him really hard by his arm and pulled his shoulder outa place at only 11 months old, every since then i have been scared out of my mind to let anyone watch my children but me or my husband. My trust for anyone with my children is gone. I have many family members i trust but i cant bring my self to leave them with them. Me and my husband have not had a romantic night out for some time, How could I help myself get over this fear! Do other parents have this same fear or is it just me? Any suggestions would be aprated . Thank you for you time.

Grace

izzyandbuggsmom

Asked by izzyandbuggsmom at 4:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• From your profile, your youngest is 3 now? I think at 3 and 5 you can relax a bit. If nothing else, they're old enough to tell you what happened while you were gone, and that's always a relief.

You had a scare and it's natural to be leery after that, but you have to remember that you do actually trust your relatives. Try doing it for short periods and work your way up to a date night. :)
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 4:46 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• My husband and I did not have time out for several years because I did not trust the babysitters. I did ask my aunt and mother to watch the children so we could go to Bible study, but as far as going out for a meal or movie- we didn't do it. The time passes, and meanwhile we had relaxing evenings when the kids were in bed. If your instincts say don't hire sitters, then don't. Life will go on without them and before long you'll be able to go out and not need sitters. or you can ask family members to watch the children for a couple hours, that shouldn't be too much of an imposition if they say the are willing to watch them.

Answer by Bmat at 5:05 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I am so there with you ! I just do not trust ANYONE with my children, other than my parents.Thank god they are near because we would never go out. I have a 14, 11 and 2 year old. I still feel that way with my 14 year old but I try really hard to let her go out with her friends and give her time alone ( sooo hard, and I do call her a few times to see where she is ).
    eblue3

Answer by eblue3 at 7:17 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I've never trusted anyone with my babies. Just my mom and dad. I've finally gotten to where I will leave them once in a while with my MIL. I can't imagine daycare, I just don't trust anyone! :D Perhaps you could find a trusted relative (parents, sister/SIL) and arrange a night out. But you have to be comfortable with it first, or you won't enjoy your evening!

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 5:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2009