How do I get my 20 month old daughter to stop sucking her thumb?

My daughter almost constantly sucks her thumb. Its not only when she is upset, so it concerns me that she will have problems in the future with stopping. Should I let it go on, or should I stop it? I was a thumb sucker myself and had major problems with my teeth. This is what raises my concern.

jaclyn.gambino

Asked by jaclyn.gambino at 4:15 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She doesn't have perm. teeth yet, so honestly, there's no reason to be such a panic.

I have an 35 month old daughter (1 month shy of 3) who STILL sucks her thumb. I don't want to traumatize her by 'forcing' her to stop. Besides, she really only does it if she's into her cartoons, tired, sick, or sleepy.
    My daughter has beautiful teeth also. Her doctor isn't concerned, so I'm not either.

You'll notice she'll go through stages where she seems to suck her thumbs more times than other times. That's normal too.

Besides, what really can you do? Its not like you can take the thumb away LOL
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 7:55 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I told her I wouldn't let her wear nail polish until she stopped sucking her thumb, and proceeded to paint my nails in front of her about twice a week. She stopped at three. . .

but, oh, did I get criticism, from his (my ex's) parents. . . evidently none of their kids EVER did ANYTHING that they didn't like past nine months old. Neither of their kids graduated high school, or have managed to be steadily gainfully employed since.

The doc said not to worry about it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:11 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about yet. I was a thumb sucker untill I was in second grade. There was nothing my mom didn't try to get me to stop. The one thing that worked finally was Chinese Hot Mustard. She dipped my thumb in and held it there a little while...I could not get the taste off my thumb! She did it to both after I changed hands. But at 20 months it's too soon to force her to give it up. Some kids have teddy's, some have blankies, some have this or that, and some have their thumb! Talk to the Dr to ease your mind.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:45 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I was a thumb sucker and my parents thought it was cute so they let it continue. They really regret the decision. I had to have braces, and it was extremely difficult for me to quit. I was also made fun of in elementary school. Please help your daughter quit at a young age. Also,even if she doesn't have her permanent teeth yet, it could malform the bones of her mouth. The baby teeth act as place holders for adult teeth.
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:25 PM on Feb. 9, 2009