do they understand No

my 10 month old is so different from my first born she is mean lol in a cute way she hits does she no what she is doing or no? could poping her lil hand or bottom help teach her or its to soon for that???

theycallmemomie

Asked by theycallmemomie at 4:15 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do not hit in return...it teaches her hitting is OK. Grab her hand, say no, hold on to her hand.

Or put her into a "safe zone" where she cannot hit you, and walk away. That teachers her far more.
    \
    NO HITTING. It just teaches them that hitting is OK and is exactlyt he opposite of what you want here.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:40 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• My son doesn't hit...but I do pop his hand/butt when he's getting into stuff. But in this case, I agree with gdiamante. Hitting her would seem counterproductive to me.
    srenee1988

Answer by srenee1988 at 4:58 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• We started discipline as soon as they were mobile. Do they understand at first, of course not. But with consistency they do learn....mine understood by the time they were one that if we said "no" we meant it and they'd better back away....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:16 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Cannot overemphasize the importance of imitation during the first 7 years - the younger they are, the more entirely imitative they are. They drink in EVERY moment of what they see & hear. They really do not do something they have not seen. AND they have no ability to think "Oh, mama is hitting the _____ (dog, sibling, punching bag), but i should not hit things" ... Keep this in mind - it helps in so many ways!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:25 PM on Feb. 8, 2009