Why is having a big baby bad??

I have a few friends with personal experience on this... it seems like so many women are TERRIFIED of having a large baby. I was! But now that I have been through labor, Idk that ANYTHING coming out would be "comfy" lol. And I think that positioning, massage etc can help. Idk that it's even having the big babies that Im curious about- but this HUGE fear that woman have over it... Where does that come from?
ftr my kids were 8lb6oz and 8lb11oz... Idk if that info is relevant or not, I was scared of having a bigger baby. But now on my third time around I really could care less for some reason... Happy and healthy is all I want :)

CooksWife

Asked by CooksWife at 4:17 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have never been afraid of birthing a big baby. There is no evidence that big babies cause more complications and my mom delivered a 10 lb baby completely natural so I have never been afraid of it.
    It's an irrational fear really, women just assume there will be more pain and complications and it doesn't help because OB's use that "scare tactic" when convincing women to get induced or even have a c/s because of that fact. (Neither improve the outcome actually).
    You dilate the same, no matter the babies size. Issues delivering comes from position during labor, interventions that were aloud, and mind over matter a lot of the time. Not all, but a lot.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:24 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Exactly what celticreverie said!
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 4:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Idk that OBs use it as a "scare tactic" is the only reason- and I personally believe they are scared too: either bc of lawsuits or because of the vast knowledge on "worst case scenarios" But I am sure some of it comes from that source. I think other women's horror stories cause me more fear than anything else... Why is it that when you are 7 months along with your first, EVERYONE feels the need to share the most horrific stories? Complete strangers even ?? :(

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 4:46 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Because a 5lbs 12oz baby left my sex organs in ruins with a doctor sewing things back together...I don't want to know what a ten pounder would do. That would be the reason I fear it.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 4:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I had always heard that having a second baby was much easier then the first, so when I went in to have 2nd daughter I wasn't afraid at all. My 1st was 7lbs2oz and the whole labor lasted just over an hour and 4 pushes to be born. I thought baby #2 was going to be a cake walk even though I was told that she was going to be big. She was 9lbs9oz, the labor went on all day and that night after pushing for what felt like forever, my nurse had mercy on my and reached in and helped pull her out. She was born with a broken collar bone. When I got pregnant with my 3rd, I was scared to death. I was really careful with what I ate, gained 2 lbs through the whole pregnancy and had a 8lb5oz baby. 1 pound makes a huge difference! That was just me though, I know other people that didn't have a problem delivering big babies, and other people who had to have C-sections. I think it just depends on the person.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 4:55 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• A bigger baby could mean Gestational Diabetes but that is not always the case. I was checked three times for GD and it came back negative each time. When everyone hears that my son weighed 11 lbs 10 oz at birth they automatically assume that I either had GD or that I pigged out and that is what caused his "abnormal" birth weight. To be honest, I don't know that I would ever want a small baby. Jeremy came out looking like a three month old and even though I was careful with holding his neck and all of that, I felt more at ease with him. I didn't feel like I was going to break him if I picked up or put him down. Anyways, I did have to have a c-section but from what the doctor told me, I would have had to have a c-section whether the baby weighed 12 lbs or 7 lbs. Birthing a big baby naturally can be possible. My husband's grandmother gave birth naturally to my FIL who was weighed 13 lbs.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:03 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Cookswife.. while liability may be a good reason: most OB's are ignorant to what birth should be. They are surgeons, and go to medical school. They are taught that birth is an emergency and while not ALL believe this, the vast majority do. Statistically allowing a women to go into labor by herself, is better than inducing, but OB's ignore this. I don't have enough fingers, toes, and teeth, to tell you the number of women who have been scared into an induction, or c/s, by the fear of a big baby. It's absolutely awful. Even with GD, you don't need to be induced: unless you are in awful shape health wise and need it for that. But having a big baby isn't an emergency either.

Does that make sense? When you here scary stories you need to listen to why they had complications. Were they induced? Were they in a hospital, were they immobil etc. There are many complications in labor that are cause by just being in a bad position.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• The largest part of the baby is the head/shoulders, and once that's out the baby just slides out, so I don't really understand why everyone is so afraid of big babies either. The head can be large on a 6 lb baby or a 10 lb baby. I had a 9 lb 5 oz boy, and I don't think it would have been any different if he'd been larger or smaller.
    I guess it could have been an issue because he was posterior and if he'd been a smaller baby he might have changed position a little easier. But I really don't think that was the issue.
    theonecilla

Answer by theonecilla at 5:50 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• i dont know. my son was 9 pounds 5.6 ounces. i had a 1 hour 54 minute labor, including pushing, and no tearing. no tearing, no epidural, no episiotomy. i ain't scared or nothin'. lol.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 6:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I was afraid my baby would be too small! I was so worried my son would be born under 8lbs. Anything under 8 just seems too small to me. I was glad my son was 8lbs 6oz. still not what I'd call big. I can't imagine having a 5lb baby. I would be scared I'd break it lol!
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 6:26 PM on Feb. 8, 2009