I am about to become a single mother

Honestly I am a bit scared

Tell me what you enjoy about being a single mother

Any tips or tricks.

Just anything to make me feel better about this.

Amelora

Asked by Amelora at 11:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2012 in General Parenting

• I am not a single mom, however, I would say look on the bright side of things. You no longer have to pick up after an adult. You no longer have to be held accountable other than to yourself. If you can, I would get someone to watch your child(ren) for the weekend and go off to a place that calms you and take time to reflect and think about a game plan for your future.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:38 PM on Oct. 1, 2012

• You get to enjoy the freedom of not having someone else there to argue with. Imagine being like some other people stuck in a miserable relationship, too afraid to leave. Find a single mothers support group. You can also read books and free online resources for parenting and taking care of newborns. Your baby is all yours to raise, and it could end up being a very close mother-child relationship. Imagine how awesome of a mom you could be. Give her a cool name, cool clothes, cool kiddie parties, sharing your knowledge on many subjects.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 11:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2012

• Are you having a baby or ending a relationship, or both?

Just know that no matter what the situation is, youhave the strength inside of you to get through it. It's there, waiting for you to tap into it, because that's what moms do, single or otherwise.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2012

• Honestly? Being a single mother SUCKS and is GREAT at the same time. Its twice as hard but twice as rewarding. I as a single mom rarely get time to myself.I work my ass off just to have all the money go to daycare and bills. I miss being home with my babies but enjoy working all at the same time. But I enjoy not being with a complete ass that tore me down every chance he got. I enjoy not fighting with someone every night. I feel more free and like the world is off my shoulders and I am so much happier. I can finally be ME and only worry about myself and my children.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:41 PM on Oct. 1, 2012

• I am not a a single mom, but I was raised by a single mother. She is my hero. I have such an amazing conection with her and I don't think I would have if my father had been involved. It was incredibly hard, I relize that now, but she made it seem so effortless while I was growing up. She was always there and avaiable to me and my siblings. Just be honest with your kids. But don't forget to take time for yourself.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 12:03 AM on Oct. 2, 2012

• I love being able to make the choices and not having to ask anyone's permission to do things regarding my son. I like being financially independent from anyone. I've been a single mom my son's whole life and it's all he knows.
    SaraD1989

Answer by SaraD1989 at 12:04 AM on Oct. 2, 2012

• For the whole month I was a single mom, my house stayed clean!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:07 AM on Oct. 2, 2012

• You guy are awesome. There seems to be some confusion though - I am not going to become a parent. I already am a parent, separating from my partner.

The idea o not having to clean up after an extra person seems wonderful to me right now.
    Amelora

Comment by Amelora (original poster) at 12:15 AM on Oct. 2, 2012

• I enjoyed the freedom of doing what I wanted when I wanted, parenting without having to consult/compromise with someone else. There was a much more casual feel in my house when I was single.

Answer by missanc at 6:26 AM on Oct. 2, 2012

• ahhh, it was honestly the best thing I ever did - when I left my ex husband, with three children in my arms, I suddenly understood what life was about....I was able to raise my children the way I knew was best for them....I didn't get criticized every time I turned around....I wasn't held back from giving my children experiences I knew they'd enjoy....I could take them for walks and hikes and bike rides whenever we desired .... I wasn't constantly trying to protect my children from his ranting and cussing.... I became a better person, a better mother ! I got to know and understand myself. If I wanted to make a meal without meat I could do that....I could buy my own groceries, lots of fruits and veggies, no processed weiners and fake chicken patties....I could save money the way I wanted to...by cutting off t.v. and the things I didn't use....and choose to spend it on better food !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 6:39 AM on Oct. 2, 2012