How do I deal with step children who do not. Want to help around the house. Or play on your every nerve.

mommykimmy1967

Asked by mommykimmy1967 at 4:21 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• You need to talk to your hubby and agree on chores and whatever else and leave it up to hubby to parent them or they will resent you.

Anonymous

• Hold them to the same standard(s) that you hold your own child(ren) b/c if you do not your own child(ren) will resent you. If they do not like to be held accountable ask your DH to step in and set some ground rules, once again not setting different standards between your stepchildren and your own child(ren). Good luck:)
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 4:37 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I think it depends if they live with you or not? If they live with you then sure they should be held to the same standard as the other kids. If they dont and only visit then why are they doing chores when they should be enjoying their time with their dad? If theres a problem getting them to do things then your dh should be handling it. Just talk to him because arguing with a child never gets anyone anywhere.

Answer by gemgem at 4:59 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I think you get with ur husband and you both have to agree on what is expected out of ur step child and the both of you support each others decision and if the child doesn't obey then there are consquences and both parents have to hold the child accountable, I just got custody of my husbands daughter and she is 15 and was the only child and I have two girls and there is all kinds of jealous crap going on and this playing the mom against the dad and the wanting us to feel sorry with her , they will try everything.................
    sloangirls910

Answer by sloangirls910 at 9:01 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• We do agree on chores etc for all kids. But it just seems like the step boys have no respect for us.
    It started right after they got back. From Christmas vacation. They help out were not disrespectful did thier homework etc. Now it is like they do not have to do a thing. And they start things to get on our nerves. We tried a shedule and even an allowance. So needless to say they have no privlages and we are at a loop in what else to do.
    mommykimmy1967

Answer by mommykimmy1967 at 12:26 PM on Feb. 9, 2009