my husband left, im a stay at home mother and have a 6 year old and a 15 month old. i would like to know what are my rights. i live in california.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Relationships

• As in what? I would file for divorce and reason is abandonment.

Anonymous

• See an attorney. Get your custody and child support ducks in a row. You have the right to child support.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:37 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Go to a lawyers office or file for abandonment,get child support,etc. I am sorry this happened to you! How horrible of him to leave you with the children! He could have least had more consideration for the children!
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 4:48 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I agree with the PPs, but get you some alimony too. If you have been a stay at home mother, and that has been your lifestyle, he can keep it up.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 4:50 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• The state of Ca is a little different, he has to be gone for longer than 30 days for it to be abandonment, depending on how long you guys have been married you can maybe get alimony but from what I remember in my divorce it at least three years, you can for sure get child support, I would suggest speaking with a lawyer, and if you can't afford one most all counties here in Ca have low or no income legal help where they will do the paper work for you and you just have to file it, and being that you are no income you make sure and get yourself a fee waiver that way you dont have to pay a filing fee up front and if you do have to pay it will be small payments like $10 a month, and if I didn't already say it go and file for divorce

hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 5:24 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• You have the rights to 50% of the family assets. If you own a home together you can sell it and you are entitled to 50% of the proceeds after the banks paid off. You are entitled to child support and need to go open a case with child support enforecement immediately. You have the right to custody ofyour kids because he abandoned you. You have the right to 50% of whats in the bank. Go there and take out 50% and have your name taken off the bank account or his taken off. Its legal. You also need to go see a lawyer.

Answer by gemgem at 5:24 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• THAT IS WHY I WILL NEVER BE A SAHM. TO MUCH RISK INVOLVED. JUST HEARD A STORY ON THE RADIO WHERE A GUY LEFT HIS WIFE WITH 11 KIDS AND SHE WAS A SAHM.
    Anonymous

• What about spousalsupport??? I would just start calling around and looking into things. How long has he been gone... are you sure he left you? Did he say he was leaving or just disappear?

dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 11:16 PM on Feb. 8, 2009