undilating??

so i went to l&d a few days ago cuz i though i was in labor
im 39 weeks
and i was having contractions about 5 mins apart
they told me i was not in labor but i was dilated to a 3
so i was all happy
well i went to the doc today and he checked me again
and said i was not dilated at all
can that even happen or did someone mess up???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I've heard of it happening up to 1cm, opening a little a closing but I'm not sure about 3cm. Maybe someone did mess up
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 5:21 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I'm reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and I've learned that yes it can and does happen. When women get stressed or feel like things arn't ready for her to go into labor, it can happen.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 5:21 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• That happened to me! I went to the hospital, I was at three. Next day the doc said I was completley closed. He told me that it is very common for women that have had more than one baby to close back up after the contractions stop, because the cervix is stretchy. I had ongoing painful contractions, I would open up and then close up again. Don't worry it's gonna open all the way up sooner or later! Good luck and relax!!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:11 PM on Feb. 8, 2009