Am I allowed to request general for my c-section? (more related ?'s)

If so, then what are the benefits and what is bad about general vs the spinal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you should talk to your doctor about the risks of anesthesia.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 5:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Yeah obviously, but I want some answers before I asked so I knew a little about it.....
    Anonymous

• If your under general at my hospital, they do not allow the baby's father in the room to witness the birth and cut the cord. I dont know what your hospital does or what your situation is.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 5:55 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Well my doctor started with the spinal and told me that if I ever felt like it was gettting hard to breath then they would put me under. I was fine until he put his hand all the way in to grab her then it felt like he colapsed my lungs so they let me see her and put me out. I dont know if that helps but if I can help please IM me. good luck.
    Tris_09

Answer by Tris_09 at 6:02 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I wouldn't get general. I had general and my son's father was not allowed in the room. They have to do it extremely fast so that the drugs do not effect the baby's respiratory function. Also, you wake up in the recovery room with no baby or family and are in there for about a hour before you are allowed to go to your room and be with the baby or see the baby for the first time. My throat hurt from the tubes that were down it to breathe. I wouldn't recommend it unless needed.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 6:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2009