How do I help a ballerina learn hip hop?

My eight year old has signed up for hip hop classes. She has done ballet for five years and seems to be having a hard time. I, personally, have two left feet - any suggestions to help her find the beat?

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 8:56 AM on Oct. 2, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd say to just give her time. Two of my nieces successfully made the transition and, heaven knows, two more unlikely candidates you could not find (lol - love them both though!).
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 9:07 AM on Oct. 2, 2012

• She's getting frustrated...she took a six week intro to it in the summer and I didn't think she did so bad - but now she's in a 42 week class and we have a long way to go. :( She's very ballerina-like and tall/skinny...still taking ballet on another night. Do they have DVD's that help you learn?
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 9:13 AM on Oct. 2, 2012

• I don't know my son did hip hop and he just nailed it.. In fact he was so good after his first year we had the bigger well known studio (he went to alittle one) call me personally and ask him to join there studio. They wanted him for comp team. We declined and he returned the next year to the little one. BIG MISTAKE!! what a joke the next year. I was told he can't do her comp. team cause he wasn't good enough. Yet the bigger studios that has worked with broadway wanted him. He decided not to dance this year and only focus on sports, but if he danced we where going to the better studio. My niece dance the better one and was in nutcracker :)
    ** as far as your daughter maybe get some just dance for the wii??
    ajrjj05

Answer by ajrjj05 at 9:27 AM on Oct. 2, 2012

• We don't have a wii - but I had contemplated the purchase for this! We're not big video game players...
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 9:30 AM on Oct. 2, 2012

• You need to find some hip hop videos for her to watch. (Just watch them first to make sure they're G rated). I love some of the hip hop routines they've done on So You Think You Can Dance. Look some of those up on youtube & let her study them.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 10:06 AM on Oct. 2, 2012

• I'd just giver her a little time...she's been doing another kind of dance for 5 yrs...I think she will get it

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:53 AM on Oct. 2, 2012

• I'd say watch videos and listen to the music in the car. It's a control thing. Ballerinas dance with absolute control. A hip hop dancer is much looser and needs to let go more. I've seen this with gymnasts. They never really can let go and dance loosely.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:59 AM on Oct. 2, 2012