How far away should the delivery hospital be?

I'm close to 30 weeks and I just attended my birthing class. I really like the instructor and the hospital it was at but it's not the hospital I will be delivering at or where my doctor will be. I don't really like my doctor because she rushes through everything. I've heard a couple of negative things about my delivery hospital although I won't be doing the maternity ward until next week. I've heard that they get all the emergency and gunshot victims, etc. so they are very slow to get to patients. I do know from experience of being in their emergency room that there have been times I have been there over 8 hours for small things and have been left in a room only to be told 2 hours later that I can just go. The hospital I really like is 45 minutes away and could be up to hour and a half in traffic. Is that too far??

charlene29

Asked by charlene29 at 5:22 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• the hospital ur doc is at sounds like on where i live but the er has nothing to do with the l&d

my sister had her kid at that hospital and she got in right away

im having my little girl at a new one
    that is 30 mins away if traffic is good and not busy
    we timed how long it took to get their when i though i was in labor like last week and we left at like 2 in the morning
    its all up to u and how long u want to be in the car and the hospital before pushing starts
    19bubbles91

Answer by 19bubbles91 at 5:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• mine is about 30 - 45 mins away and i chose it because it is the best and i hear only good things i mean we have one right on the corner from ur apartment but i will not go there .. i do think it really matters as long as you know you can get there as fast as you can when the time comes its you and your baby you should fel comfortable where you are at
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:59 PM on Feb. 8, 2009