Did you plan the spacing of your children or did you let it happen naturally?

I had my daughter at 17 (she is now 6), Had my stillborn son at 22, and my son at 23 (he is 8 1/2 months) My bf and I are currently trying to decide whether or not we want to start trying for another baby now or we want to wait a little while longer. Did you put much thought into how the distance in your childrens age or just have them when the time felt right for you?

I originally (a few years ago) thought i wanted two kinda close in age and then wanted to wait until i was about 28 and have a third then a 4th at thirty, so that my first two would of been 13 and 11 when i had my final child, It didn't end up that way lol

rockabell.2009

Asked by rockabell.2009 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 2, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• my oldest was a surprise (a big surprise since i was on the pill) and DS was planned to come a little before my oldest turned 3. if we get to have a third (*crosses fingers*) we will plan him/her for the same 2-3 year gap.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:02 PM on Oct. 2, 2012

• Sort of planned. Both happened pretty effortlessly (lucky for us I guess) so they were pretty much spaced as we planned.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:50 AM on Oct. 2, 2012

• Both of my children were totally planned. They are 3 years, 1 week apart.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:32 AM on Oct. 2, 2012

• Not planned between my first and second but planned between my second and third. I like the 3 years apart because my second was somewhat independant (he was potty trained and spent some time playing by himself) when I had his baby brother (and was out of the terrible 2 phase!)
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 10:41 AM on Oct. 2, 2012

• I was working against the time clock. Both were planned. they are 19 months apart.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:06 AM on Oct. 2, 2012

• No, my youngest DD was a surprise but, it ended up being perfect timing. And, from what I was told from my doctor, the time a lot of people strive for. My girls are exactly 3 yrs & 18 days apart. My oldest was fully potty trained and able to do some things independently, without needing me as much, when my youngest was born. But, they are still close enough in age to play together and have some common interests, unlike a 5 or 6 yr difference.  

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:09 AM on Oct. 2, 2012

• Natural. Their ages are almost 11 (next month), 8 1/2, 7, 3, and 1.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 10:12 AM on Oct. 2, 2012

• Mine were pretty much planned to be 2-3 years apart and I think we will follow the same schedule with our 4th child as well.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:14 AM on Oct. 2, 2012

• The oldest was planned...although he took a little work. Then I was told I couldn't have any more, so I quit worrying about it. Seven years later I had my 2nd, so he was a surprise. Since it was so hard to get pregnant, we didn't really worry about the 3rd. We were on the fence about what to do, The first was born when I was 21, 2nd I was 28, and I knew I wanted to be done by the time I was 30, so we were trying to decide did we want another or not....and I was pregnant. #2 & #3 were 2 years apart.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:29 AM on Oct. 2, 2012

• Yeah. my kids have a 5 yr difference and in some ways its nice because she is a little more independent, she can grab her self a snack if she wants out of the fridge, grab her own juice boxes, bathroom, etc. But she will want to play with my son for a few seconds peek a boo and things like that, then gets bored and does her own thing, and since she is at school all day and he is home with me by the time she gets home gets a bath and all he doesnt get to spend m uch time with sissy so i am afraid they won't be close
    rockabell.2009

Comment by rockabell.2009 (original poster) at 10:31 AM on Oct. 2, 2012