A friend said something to me that sparked this curiosity. Do you judge parents with tattoos and piercings?

I am a younger mom 23 years old, I do not currently have any piercings I have only one tattoo but in the near future i am saving up to get snake bites and my eye brow pierced and another tattoo on my back. Eventually i want more. My friend, who is also a young mom gets told a lot that it is inappropriate for her to have purple highlights in her hair and have piercings and tattoos. None of the tattoos are obscene though.

When you see a mom out with "alternative' or "goth" apparel, or someone who dresses normally but also has piercings and tattoos do you think anything of it or pass no judgement what so ever. Just curious.

rockabell.2009

Asked by rockabell.2009 at 12:11 PM on Oct. 2, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• A good person will make a good parent, period.

I was having trouble getting on the bus one day because there was a big pile of snow in the way. Somebody came up and asked if I needed help. He sounded like a teenager to me, a young guy anyway. He helped me get on the bus and made sure I found a seat, then got off. This professional-sounding lady sitting behind me said, "Miss, I don't know if you realize it, but that boy who helped you on the bus had a spider tattooed on his face. The body on the nose, the legs spread across his cheeks an forehead, and the fangs on his lips." I told her that might limit his job prospects some day, but it didn't say anything about the quality of his character--he helped me on the bus;she didn't.

Having tattoos or piercings says nothing about your parenting skills. I have a belly button ring among other piercings, and a tattoo on each shoulder and one on the hip so far.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:24 AM on Oct. 3, 2012

• No I dont. I have no piercings but I have tattoos and I plan on getting a few more. I love dying my hair RED.

Just because we like different styles doesnt make me a bad mother or irresponsible. Looks dont make a person. 

LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 2, 2012

• I agree with LS, looks don't make a person. It is idiotic to judge people based on appearance. I would love to get a tattoo. The only thing with tattoo's and piercings is it can make it harder to get some jobs. Other than that I see nothing wrong with either and I have no reason to think people who have them are bad parents just because.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2012

• I have tattoos and have had piercings, so no, I don't judge parents who have them. They are a personal expression of a person, and unless one of the tats is a picture of the mother stabbing or beating her child, is not a reflection of their parenting skills.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:22 PM on Oct. 2, 2012

• I think there are some professions thatfrown on exposed tats or piercings. They won't say so but they have a standard of appearance, some will tell you flat out.
    I have none and I couldn't care less either way. I will say the snake fangs do make me feel uncomfortable. I can't wrap my head around how that would feel . But again, do what you want. And hair color., unless it flashes on and off neon in a pattern that would trigger a migraine, go for it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:32 PM on Oct. 2, 2012

• I have 1 tattoo that is covered the majority of the time. Unless someone's face looks like a pin cushion and they're clearly covered in tat's, then I won't judge in general. However, when I do see young parents, I do find myself mentally subtracting the kid's age from how old they look and judging from there, regardless of their outward appearance. And, some employers do look down on facial piercings.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:09 PM on Oct. 2, 2012

• I'd be a pot calling a kettle black. I have 4 tattoos, and I'm in the process of getting one of them covered up/redone.

I see people with tattoos and think: Oh THAT one's cool looking. Some piercings I'm ok with, but some of them make me shudder. Half a face covered in piercings seems tacky to me. But that's not my choice. I've got two holes in each ear and that's it.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:19 PM on Oct. 2, 2012

• I have 3 tatoo's no one see's them unless I allow them too, hidden for professional reasons. I had my lip, belly button and tounge pierced until I got pregnant with my 3 year old, kind of just grew out of them.

Its personal choice not a show of parenting skills.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 12:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2012

• Nobody can see my piercings. It is on a need to know basis. I just look like a plain ole house marm.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:20 PM on Oct. 2, 2012

• No, not at all. When my son was in kindergarten, one of the moms I made friends with had a bunch of tattoos and purple hair. She was the nicest, most down to Earth person, and her daughter was a total sweetheart. My son and I both really missed them when they moved away.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:06 PM on Oct. 2, 2012