sometimes when i pick my daughter up her back cracks...

has anyone else had this happen...it scares the crap out of me! It doesnt seem to bother her though. she is 2 by the way

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yup use to happen to my daughter around the same age. We thought it was weird too, but it does not happen anymore.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 5:44 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• My son is almost 2 and that happens to him, too. He doesn't mind, but it give me the willies. But it's nothing to worry about. If someone picked you up like that, your back would probably crack, too. Heck, that's why people go to chiropractors. :-)
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 5:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• our DDs hip does that since she was only a few weeks old.

it scared us to death. and to be sure she is alright we went to an orthopedist. he was checking on her before and after she learned to walk and he did ultrasounds of the hip. Everything alright he said. and sometimes that happens when the kids grow. still creepy and scares me. but when the doc says she is alright, then im kinda ok too ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:48 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• The *crack* sound is merely air escaping out of the joint. It feels good- usually- because it allows the joint to return to its normal size. Cracking joints DOES NOT lead to arthritis (unless it is habitual or forced), and in fact can PREVENT arthritis because it allows the joint to return to its normal state. A tendency to *crack* can be inherited. I *crack* A LOT, and so do my girls.
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 9:05 PM on Feb. 8, 2009