i had a c section on jan 29 and i had stictches with the steri strips on..they didnt take them off but i think they told me to take them off in a week...they are starting to stink really bad and i want to know wheather or not to take them off

jesslovesyou08

Asked by jesslovesyou08 at 5:35 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'd just soak a wash clothe in hot water, wring it out, and then rest it on your steri-strips. They might soften up and fall off.
    Anonymous

• You can cut the tips off if I remember correctly.They shouldn't be stinking tho. Make sure that you don't have any type of infection, just in case.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• in my opinion the doctors are suppose to take them off. never heard that a woman has to do that herself.

but if they told you to take them off yourself after a week, then do so. The smell can only come from you not washing it right. like the first answerer said: wash cloth in hot water, wring it out and then lay it on the strips for a while. you can also use some alcohol and parfume free wash lotion/soap.

when you are not sure if you are suppose to take them of yourself or have to go back to the hospital for it, then just give your doc a call. :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• i would go 2 the er i had that happen 2 me and i called my doc cuz i was worried about the smell and he said it was nothing then the next day i got real sick and i just went 2 the er and i had staph and ecolie infection in my healing incision and i would go ahead and take off the strips now but u need 2 see a doc asap
    Anonymous

• It could be infection, but for me it was just because I got sweaty (kind of like a band aid gets if you wear it too long - it just doesn't smell that great). I was also told to take them off - just wet them really well and pull them off very slowly and if any seem too stuck wait a day and try again.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:52 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I am allergic to the adhesive. I had my son at 3:50 pm. The next morning my doctor came in at 7, checked me, let me get up and use the bathroom and then told me I could shower and pull the steri-strips off. I didn't have stitches on the outside, she used what I call "super glue". The steri-strips came off easily while letting the water run over them and I didn't have any problems after that. Same when I had my tubal, the steri-strip was off the next morning.
    DeeGillette

Answer by DeeGillette at 6:11 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Usually they fall off or you can take them off once they are realy peeling off.... but otherwise, I would leave them alone. They shouldnt smell though...
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 6:31 PM on Feb. 8, 2009