This is not a new scam but it bears repeating.

Hotel/Motel Scam (This one is so simple it is shocking)

This is kinda scary if only because of how simple it is.

You arrive at your hotel and check in at the front desk. When checking in, you give the front desk your credit card (for all the charges for your room). You get to your room and settle in.

Someone calls the front desk and asks for (example) Room 620 - which happens to be your room. The phone rings in your room. You answer and the person on the other end says the following, 'This is the front desk. When checking in, we came cross a problem with your charge card information. Please re-read me your credit card number and verify the last 3 digits numbers at the reverse side of your charge card.'

Not thinking anything, you might give this person your information, since the call seems to come from the front desk. But actually, it is a scam of someone calling from outside the hotel/front desk. They ask for a random room number. Then, ask you for credit card information and address information. Sounding so professional, that you do, thinking you are talking to the front desk.

If you ever encounter this problem on your vacation, tell the caller that you will be down at the front desk to clear up any problems. Then, go to the front desk and ask if there was a problem. If there was none, inform the manager of the hotel that someone called to scam you of your credit card information, acting like a front desk employee.

.

ANYONE traveling should be aware of this one!

Dardenella

Asked by Dardenella at 2:57 PM on Oct. 2, 2012 in Travel

• I had never heard of this! That's an amazing thing to know. Thank you!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:36 PM on Oct. 2, 2012

• Good idea. I hadn't heard of this one.

My general rule of thumb is I don't give credit card info over the phone unless I'm the one calling.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:03 PM on Oct. 2, 2012

• Wow! Thanks for the tip! I hate thieves & they keep coming up w/ new ways to get other people's hard earned $$! Oh if only they'd use their brains for good instead of evil!

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:31 PM on Oct. 2, 2012

• Nice reminder. I never give my credit card info over the phone anyway. You never know who's on the other side.
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 2, 2012

• Always the wisest course
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 3:11 PM on Oct. 2, 2012

• No not me thankfully, I have never been too lazy to go down to the desk , lol.
    A friend was at a convention recenly that I did not get to go to and told me she is still cleaning up the mess with her credit card.
    I wonder how many others had it happen.
    Dardenella

Comment by Dardenella (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Oct. 2, 2012

• Good one.

I also don't answer telephone surveys, especially the ones asking about the electronics in your home as well as lifestyle questions. IThey want to know how much time you spend at home, on hobbies, watching TV, etc and throw in random questions to make it sound legitimate. It could be burglars planning to rob you.

Also a good idea to invest in a large mailbox with a drop-in slot and lock, so it's not visible whether or not you're at home or not and also so that advertisers that use flyers and cards drop their materials in the box. Anyone can know if you're not home if a flyer has been stuck on your door for hours or days.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 5:39 PM on Oct. 2, 2012

• I am so glad you posted this! It hasn't happened to me, but, it is a good thing to remember!
    blondie805

Answer by blondie805 at 9:42 PM on Oct. 2, 2012