When keeping it real goes wrong lol.....

Couldn't help but use that title.

Have any of your family members ever told you something they said or thought about you that was negative that maybe they should not have shared with you?

Example:
My MIL is not the most coherrent person. She rambles and nods off while talking to you, so most times I don't pay attention to the stuff she says. HOWEVER!!

While just hanging out at our place one day she turned to me in tears and said, " I apologize. I have to apologize. I know I was wrong. I called you a n*gger. Your not a n*gger n*gger. Not like those other ones you know? I told them I don't why he would be with a n*gger, but I didn't know you. I'm so sorry."

Wthell lol. Mind you this isn't when we first met or anything, but this point dh and I are 10 years and 4 kids in.. where the heck did that confession come from?

I didn't bother me, I found it pretty funny. I mean the heck is a "n*gger n*gger"?? Dh and my FIL were mortified.

Turns out she was talking to her mom about me and her mom is quite the racist and will tell you what she thinks about you to your face. Needless to say the only time she has seen my babies has been through pics people show her because she can keep that craziness over there with her and far away from my little ones.

ANYWAY, any revelations you think maybe that person should have kept to themselves?

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 8:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2012 in Relationships

• i am glad you handled that well I was in kinda the same predicament when my husbands family from Germany came to see us and asked his mom right in front of me and I quote " what is she"? meaning because I am not white but not too dark either.. I am hispanic talk about awkward!
    n8nnickmom

Answer by n8nnickmom at 9:37 PM on Oct. 2, 2012

• Major props to you for being mature enough to know she cant help the way she was brought up. I probably wouldnt have considered that until after the booking process was done and they placed me in the holding cell. You know, thats when you get time to reflect! LOL
    toughluck08

Answer by toughluck08 at 9:02 PM on Oct. 2, 2012

• Oh, I do remember one! LOL

My MIL is Japanese and all of her family still lives in Japan, so needless to say, we don't see them much. Well, they came to visit us shortly after our 2nd daughter was born, and I made dinner and the kids were, lets just say...not on their best behavior.

Well, they acted very happy and like they enjoyed themselves, and when everyone had left but my MIL, I said something like "It seems like they like me" and my MIL had a mini meltdown saying they were just being polite and that in Japan it would be improper to behave any differently...but that the kids acted like demons and she was going to look like she raised an incompetent son.

Funny thing is that I LOVE my MIL, but I think she was under a huge amount of pressure to be perfect from her family and it transfered over onto us. LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:47 PM on Oct. 2, 2012

• Because she's a ball of craziness. I love her I do and she knows that. It's like someone here talking about a grandmother saying that word.

That's how she grew up. Can't really blame her for that.

With MIL I know her mom is overbearing and racist and although my MIL tries to love everyone she can't help the way she was brought up.
    4xsthetrouble

Comment by 4xsthetrouble (original poster) at 8:53 PM on Oct. 2, 2012

• I agree with Meooma I don't how you kept your cool! I've had to deal with a crazy MIL with my ex husband. Loved her ,but she was something else. Good job at keeping your cool and being understanding. Good luck with your MIL though sounds like you need it!
    JennieMarie1103

Answer by JennieMarie1103 at 8:56 PM on Oct. 2, 2012

• People say I do not smile. That I must not be happy. My grown kids think I need to see a shrink. Because I must be depressed or something. I tell them all to go to hell. Nothing is wrong with me, just because I do not have a smile painted on my face.

Answer by louise2 at 9:03 PM on Oct. 2, 2012

• @ louise
    Do they tell you outright to see a shrink??

I couldn't dream of letting those words slide out of my mouth lol.
    4xsthetrouble

Comment by 4xsthetrouble (original poster) at 9:12 PM on Oct. 2, 2012

• " what is she"?
    Wow!! Bravo on not snapping on her
    4xsthetrouble

Comment by 4xsthetrouble (original poster) at 9:46 PM on Oct. 2, 2012

• That would have been a "WTF moment" for sure!

LOL after reading that, I can't think of an example I've experienced, but I'm sure there has been one LOL. Maybe not one that tops that, though!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:43 PM on Oct. 2, 2012

• I think the most awkward moment I had like this is when I was 20 y/o. I was 5 month pregnant when I told my parents about my pregnancy and they didn't know about my boyfriend.
    The first ting my dad asked was "When did you get an abortion?".

You handled the situation really well with your MIL. :)
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 6:10 AM on Oct. 3, 2012