forward facing carseats

I have heard that once your child turns a yr old they need to be in a forward facing carseat.
But, my son is very small for almost a year old, so my question is....
Is there a weight your child needs to be before putting them in a forwars facing carseat?
My son is not even 17lbs yet.

.Kelly.

Asked by .Kelly. at 6:14 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 1 (-15 Credits)
  • I'm pretty sure they have to be over 20 pounds before you forward face, and it's actually safer to keep them rear facing for a while after that. A lot of carseats (the convertible kind anyway) can be used rearfacing up to 30 or 35 pounds.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:18 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• No, no, no....they don't NEED to be.

Once they turn a year and are at least 20lbs they "can" be turned forward facing. It doesn't mean they should or HAVE to be turned.

The longer they are rear facing, the safer they are.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• NO!!! That is the exact opposite of what needs to happen!!!! LOL.

IT is ABSOLUTELY NO QUESTION the safest thing to rear face them as long as possible. In the US that means 35 pounds, but beware as some seats only go to 30 or 33 pounds (convertible seats, not infant seats). Also pay attention to his height and what your seat limits.

What kind of seat is he in??

Read your manual for you carseat and be familiar with the height and weight limit.

A child is 75% more likely to be seriously injured in a FF seat than a RF seat.

My 19 month old is still RF and will be until she is 35 pounds.

Good job for being concerned mama, keep him RF :)
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 6:48 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• he is almost 17 lbs & still rearfacing.
    .Kelly.

Answer by .Kelly. at 6:53 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• No need to turn until the reach the weight limit of the seat(35 pounds for mine). My son will be 2 in a few days and is still rear facing. It's much safer that way.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:15 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• You don't have to turn them if you don't want to.

I believe they should be at least 20-25 pounds and at least a year old.

Then you get into the whole debate and rear-facing vs. forward-facing, and I DON'T even want to go there.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 7:52 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• 1yr AND 20lbs is the minimum to forward face your child. However children under 2yrs are at 4x the risk of internal decapitation by forward facing in their car seat. They should remain rear facing to the upper limits of a convertable car seat. Most of these seats will rear face to 30-35lbs. Regardless of what anyone says about forward facing the FACT REMAINS that REAR FACING IS THE SAFEST WAY FOR ANYONE(NOT JUST KIDS) TO RIDE IN A CAR. Join the car seat safety group or proud supporters of extended rear facing or PM for more info.
    babyboomboom

Answer by babyboomboom at 8:38 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• my DS is FF but he is also 35lbs though but he has always been FF even when he turned a yr old... and my DD is 16 months and FF faces as well unfortuantly in my mothers car RF isnt plausable because the seats are broken so i cant move them up enough so the carseat could fit properly and there is NO money in the budget for anew car for my parents so i just stick with what i have....but i say choose which ever you want and read up on both RF and FF
    Anonymous

• ANON, well, in this poster's case, if it is possible to RF a parent shouldn't "choose" to FF.

Have you tried to install the seat in the center??? Usually that leaves room for that big ole seat.

Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:29 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Turn him when he is BOTH 1 year old AND 20 pounds or more.
    Even better, turn him when he reaches the max for his carseat. Rear facing is safer.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:51 AM on Feb. 9, 2009