Which is worse, a spinal or general anesthia for c-sections?

Any advice, facts... anything

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 6:29 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• general anesthia... why is it worse? well, you will fall asleep and when you wake up they will tell you: "hey thats your baby. grats!"...

i could not handle it. it would kill me to miss the birth of my own child. of course, if you dont have a choice and its an emergency c-section, then thats something different.

but i had a scheduled c-section with an epi and it was hard enough already to not being able to give normal birth. i miss something very important. but i had no choice.

I would never want to sleep when i give birth. the epi doesnt even hurt. you dont feel anything. they give you a tiny little shot to numb the spot where they will set the epidural ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• General sucks!!!!! I hope to never, ever have to get it again :(
    Anonymous

• Well im not sure what the general anesthia would be...(completly knocking you out??) but i had a spinal for both of my c- sections and they were great.....the first one hurt a bit just bc i was so nervous and didnt know what i was to expect(even though the doc did explain it i was nervous about giving birth in general) and my second one i didnt even realize they had did it til they said it was over. if the general one is the kind that knocks you out i dont recommend it bc it was so joyous to here my babies cry when they came out and to see them as soon as i could!!! its definitly a moment i wont forget! i recommend the spinal all the way! it wears off generally within 6-12hrs of getting it so you will be able to walk before you know it. good luck on whatever choice you make!!
    dory1010

Answer by dory1010 at 6:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I've been under general twice, so I'm not as scared of it as getting the spinal.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 6:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I thought general was a last resort. They mainly do spinal block.
    Anonymous

• I opted for general for all of my Csections (3 of them). No complaints at all.

As for spinals or epidurals ----- just too much risk of them not taking effect & causing nerve damage for me.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Laura- So, your OB let you choose that instead?
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 6:57 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• General because you are knocked all the way out and wont be able to see or hear your child.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 7:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I had general with my first daughter...emergency C-section. You miss the birth and you wake up groggy and kind of non-functional. With my second daughter I had a planned C-section with a spinal. I got to hear her first cries and see and touch her right away. They stitched me up and put me in a room with her and I was able to nurse her right away, no grogginess or anything! And a lot of people get sick with general, or so I'm told. Spinals and epis are really no big deal. Some people say it feels a little like a bee sting, but I didn't think it was that bad!
    paganmama999

Answer by paganmama999 at 7:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I did get a choice... I had a breech girly. It was very, very cool for me to be able to have the choice. I chose to be awake w/an epidural..... for my 1st & only. Was it uncomfortable...(did it hurt some? Yup) I didn't get my tiny lil shot.

Was it worth it....YES! Would I do it again? FOR SURE!!
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 7:50 PM on Feb. 8, 2009