About to shoot that damn dog...

About a month ago, a strange dog started coming into my yard every few weeks and chasing my cat, Bella. The first time he ran her up the tree in my front yard, she was afraid to come down for three days. My collie and my redbone hound ran him out of the yard. Once, he went after my smaller dog and the bigger dogs ran him off. He's never shown aggression to the kids but he isn't friendly so I'm still concerned. Bella was an orphan and my collie raised her so she is very protective. The dog looks like he's about seventy pounds and I think he's a German Shepherd mix. My collie is about sixty pounds and the hound is about sixty-five and my other dog is 25lbs. This dog is about an inch shorter but he is stocky and looks heavier. Bella is the only cat of mine that he has gone after but my neighbor said that he went after her cats too and her dog ran him off. We have both called animal control and put the word out to the neighbors about this dog so they can be on the lookout and don't try and pet him if he comes in the yard. Animal control can't find him, or find where he lives. He has tags but I'm too afraid to get near him to check.

Yesterday, however Bella was taking a nap on my horse's back (they are best buddies) when the dog came into my yard and went after Bella. Unfortunately, he got a hold of my horse as well. He tore up her leg and her shoulder. The cat ran to hide in the barn and both of my horses ran to the other end of the pasture to get away. My collie jumped the dog and tore a hole in his jaw and his leg and the hound got involved and tore a gash is his flank before they ran him off. I wasn't home but my husband was and he followed the dog up the street and found out where he lived and called animal control. We haven't heard back. My horse needed stitches. It scares me to think of what would have happened if one of my kids was holding the cat or if I was. My husband got my gun from the attic and put it in the barn (unloaded with the bullets in a different place with the gun out of reach of the children) just in case the dog comes back in the yard. My husband and I are both prepared to shoot the dog if he goes after the the animals again or one of the kids. My kids are scared to go outside now.

I want to make it perfectly clear (because my mother asked about it the first time) that the dog is not trying to play with the cat. He is clearly attacking her so I don't want to hear anyone say that I am being cruel because the dog may just want to play. This is not play behavior, nor has it ever been. He has been aggressive from the start and he attacked my horse for no reason.

I'm really upset about this. I need calming down Mamas! Help me!

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 1:06 AM on Oct. 3, 2012 in Pets

• I would shoot the dog- you definitely need to sue the owners for damages. What if it were your kids? That's terrifying! I am ALWAYS scared a dog is going to run into our yard and attack my toddler- this shows that it could happen!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:25 AM on Oct. 3, 2012

• Isn't there a leash law in your area? I would call the animal shelter and ask them how to handle it. They may find the owner and warn him/her about what's happening. You can always call the police (non emergency number) and ask them what your options are.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:27 AM on Oct. 3, 2012

• That dog and his owners need shootin;
    well the dog maybe and the owners fined and made to pa thebills and damages.
    But the question I have is there a law in ou area about shooting dogs. You have a laready said thet the dog has tags so.....
    I wonder if you can trap him.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:54 AM on Oct. 3, 2012

• ^^^^ What meooma said.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:37 AM on Oct. 3, 2012

• Call animal control to find out what their policy is for trapping and catching animals. Next time the dog acts aggressive call the police and tell them you're scared of the dog because its big and aggressive.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:42 AM on Oct. 3, 2012

• i would call animal control and the police. your children should not be afraid to go outside because of someones dog. they should also have to pay the vet bills for the horse.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:49 AM on Oct. 3, 2012

• I agree with meooma.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 8:00 AM on Oct. 3, 2012

• My opinion has always been that just like a person, if an animal is threatening me or my family, I have every right to defend myself or my family. While a court may argue that your pets aren't family since they aren't people, my argument would be that this dog is attacking anything and everything in your yard, which would make me feel (as you've stated you do) like my children and I are not safe. So my thoughts are: shoot away! About the only other chance I'd give would bet o call animal control again and tell them that you've told them where the dog lives, and if they aren't going to bother to come out and resolve this issue, you're shooting the damn dog the next time it sets foot into your yard.

As far as your horse, I'd be suing the owners to pay for that. Maybe after they pay for that and their dog is dead, they'll realize they need to take responsibility for their animals.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:18 AM on Oct. 3, 2012

• I wouldn't even think twice. The dogs already brought harm to your other animals. It's your right to protect your home, and family, so shoot the dog, and be done with it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:20 AM on Oct. 3, 2012

• Shoot the dog. It's already attacked several of your animals, and in spite of being run off it came back and injured your horse. Just shoot it ~ you have both a right and a responsibility to protect your own animals, and as far as I know, there is no law that prevents an owner from protecting their livestock (which applies as far as your horse).

I've shot ferals that were on the property (the day after they killed an entire flock of 37 sheep and the owner shot two of them). The 3 remaining dogs came at me ... I shot a rattlesnake a week ago as well. Crappy owners are all around, but you've got a dangerous one that has already caused harm. I'd be following up with vet bills since AC now know's where the owners live.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:54 AM on Oct. 3, 2012