How did you get where you are?

How did you come to believe what you believe/choose the denomination that you are?

Did you follow in your family's footsteps?

Did you study various beliefs until you found your fit?

Did you just stumble upon it?

How long did it take?

Finding ones spirituality can be an awesome journey...care to share yours?

Let me make this clear....if you are going to bash the beliefs of others find another post to do it in. That is not what this is for.

anetrnlov

Asked by anetrnlov at 6:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• How did you come to believe what you believe/choose the denomination that you are? I didn't come to it or choose it... it's just who I've always been.

Did you follow in your family's footsteps? Nope.

Did you study various beliefs until you found your fit? Yup -- well studied various beliefs until I found out the 'name' for what I've always been... if that makes sense.

Did you just stumble upon it? Sort of, yeah --- Buddhism wasn't even on my radar LOL

How long did it take? A few days

Finding ones spirituality can be an awesome journey...care to share yours? Cliff's Notes verision: I was pushed into discovering a 'title' for what I believe by someone who was never satisfied with my answers to her religious/spiritual questions.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:57 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I was fortunate to come from a family that encouraged to exploration of spirituality.  My parents believed each of us needed to find our own paths.  They are both more spiritual then they are religious. 

I studied a few spiritual paths that interested me, starting with Christianity.  My main reason for this was because most everyone I knew was Christian.  I actively participated (meaning attended church, youth groups, choir, etc) in two denominations, Catholic and Methodist.  I felt like an outsider (though both churches were very welcoming).  Something never felt quite "right"...it wasn't the fit I was looking for.  The same thing occurred when I attempted to participate in Judaism.  

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 7:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Continued..

I found both faiths interesting but it wasn't the right fit.  I began looking into less mainstream beliefs, starting with Buddhism.  While I found and still find Buddhism fascinating the fit was again lacking.

That is when I came to Paganism.  I found my fit.  As I studied and as I still study I feel a sense of peace that cannot accurately be described put is known by anyone who has found their spiritual path.  The best that I can say is that it was like coming home for me. 

I love religion and I love to continue learning...both about my own faith and others.  I think my parent's attitude in regards to religion and spirituality fueled this and I hope to pass the same principal to my children.

anetrnlov

• Well I became an atheist. Short version: My family raised me to be Christian, and I didn’t feel right about it, I studied other beliefs. Got into Wicca for awhile and it taught me a lot of great things, but the religion wasn’t for me either. So I studied some more, and eventually just felt more and more comfortable in not believing in a high power.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:25 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• How did you come to believe what you believe/choose the denomination that you are? I decided it was something I was interested in and started reading up on it and talking to others of that path.

Did you follow in your family's footsteps? Not anymore. I left the religion of my youth/young adulthood and my family isnt too happy about it.

Did you study various beliefs until you found your fit? No, I studied certain aspects and found my core then branched out and read things that intrigued me.

Did you just stumble upon it? Not really, it was something Id always been interested in just never pursued til I realized it was time.

How long did it take? Im still learning and growing. I dont think Ill ever stop. I know what I believe but I also think there is room for growth and change.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 7:32 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Short version: I was raised Baptist, and yes I kind of stumbled upon being a Pentecostal Saved-Christian. Long story......I studied the bible and knew living on Faith was the true way. I continued to study more to find out what the Bible said to be true. Most of my family are still Baptist, but are not totally against being Pentecostal since both believe Jesus' blood saves. I switched when I was in my early 20's.
    huntannakay

Answer by huntannakay at 7:39 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Thanks for sharing ladies! I appreciate it!
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 7:43 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• How did you come to believe what you believe/choose the denomination that you are? I had many questions about the religion in which I was raised, questions which were never answered so I went on a journey to "discover" my beliefs.

Did you follow in your family's footsteps? No

Did you study various beliefs until you found your fit? I studied most of the major religions, as well as many minor (lesser known) religions.

Did you just stumble upon it? No, it was a long drawn out process.

How long did it take? About 3 or 4 years.

Finding ones spirituality can be an awesome journey...care to share yours? I studied many different religions, I really like many of the practices of pagan religions and LOVE Buddhist philosophy. For me, the more I looked into religion, the more I realized that I couldn't rely on faith... I needed something more substantial, thus my journey has brought me to the atheist point of view.

indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 7:59 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I've traveled around the world and gotten to see many different religions, including some very odd ones - I studied up a little on the ones that interested me. In the end, the buddhist type beliefs are a better fit for me, but mine is more in a belief that we really have no control over what happens in our lives while at the same time, we do; that is to say, things happen, and how we choose to handle the obstacles and opportunities put into our paths determines our future in the end. Whether or not we deserve those obstacles or opportunities - that's a harder one to figure out. But we do have a choice in how we handle them.
    TortisShell

Answer by TortisShell at 8:35 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I'm a Buddhist, FYI!
    How did I come to believe/choose the denomination? It was what I always believed. I just did not have a name for it because I had not been exposed to the dharmic religions growing up.

Did you follow in your family's footsteps? No... my family are non-practicing Christians.

Did you study various beliefs until you found your fit? Yes, but I was not really studying to try to find a 'fit.' I was studying because I found spirituality interesting and because it was relevant to my field of study (counseling.)

Did you just stumble on it? I think my first intro to Buddhism was actually in a 'psychology of the self' university psych course. At the time I still thought of myself as Christian due to my family background, but the ideas intrigued me because they were close to things I had always found myself thinking so I filed the info away for further evaluation.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:41 PM on Feb. 8, 2009