Sippy cup

what is the best sippy cup? what age did you give them baby juice? i'm breastfeeding and my son, and won't drink from a bottle. so i'm going to attempt giving him milk from a sippy cup. has anyone else had luck with that?

RenaJean

Asked by RenaJean at 7:02 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• every baby is different with sippy cups. Only buy one at a time and see if they like it. My daughter doesn't grasp the tipping of the head back with a sippy cup so she has the ones with the straws in them.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 7:11 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• My kids never took to bottles either so we started with straw cups and sippy cups between 5 and 6 months. They all got the hang of the straw quickly and since they didn't have to tilt it back they could hold it on their own from about 8-9 months. If my LO is wanting to lay back and drink or is being put to bed by someone other than myself a straw cup doesn't really work but luckily she'll also take a soft soput sippy.

As for brands, we like the playtex starw cups and the Born Free soft spout sippy cup.

I don't give juice until they go off to preschool/ b-day parties.

2pink1blue

Answer by 2pink1blue at 7:24 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• When I first gave my kids a sippy cup I used the gerber ones with the soft spout. My kids seemed to like that one pretty well. I think I tried at 6 months. I honestly don't remember but my kids never took a bottle.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 7:24 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I wouldn't recommend any particular brand....just get a few and see which one he likes best. He may be like my kids and not care what brand it is, just as long as there's something coming out of it.

I started giving my kids sippys at about 6 or 6 1/2 months, and the first juice I gave them were Gerber juices, usually Apple, watered down (because they're awfully sweet).
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 7:30 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• We went through about 5 different kinds before we found one my oldest would take....But we started with a sippy at 6 months, it took about 2 weeks for them to "get" it...then we got rid of the bottles altogether.

(oh, a favorite here was the Nuby cup)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:34 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• i started my daughter on a sippy cup at 6 months. she took to it the same day...i gave her the Nuk starter cup and it sgreat so the Nuk has my vote.
    youngandafraid

Answer by youngandafraid at 7:46 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Yea it worked with my kids. The Nuby sippy cups with clear soft spouts are great! As for the juice thing 6 months is the perfect time to start it. Good luck momma hope it works out for you!
    Momma2beauties

Answer by Momma2beauties at 8:05 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

Momma2beauties

• Gerber makes great spill proof sippy cups! My son just started using one at 6months old. I put juice in it but he doesn't drink very much just a sip or two a day. I am using Gerber juice(I get it on WIC) but you can use any juice and cut it with water (25% juice and 75% water)
    babyboomboom

Answer by babyboomboom at 8:52 PM on Feb. 8, 2009