I'm pregnant, 4 year old is acting out!

I'm pregnant, and my normally sweet little girl has turned into a monster. She tells me no, whines and cries, and runs into my stomach. How do I get her to stop?

KimSanAntonio

Asked by KimSanAntonio at 7:13 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My only advice is discipline and boundries. I have a 4 & a 2 1/2 yo and am pregnant, my kids know that that kind of behavior has a consequence Time Outs. Not that they don't test me from time to time. It is normal for the older sibling to go through a bit of an emotional difficulty when they find out a new baby is coming- but at 4yo they are old enough to know that hurting mommy or acting out is behavior that is not allowed! Talk with your child and sit down and establish rules with them. Its our jobs as mommys to set limits and boundries to stop unwanted, negative and dangerous behavior. Good luck !
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 7:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• She may feel like she's not going to get any attention or that she's not getting the attention she used to. Try including her in things such as asking her what she would name the baby (of course you would be the one to really decide) or out of certain colors, which one the baby's room should be painted. Also buy her a special doll and teach her to hold it and take care of it like a real baby... give her a diaper to put on it and a pretend bottle. Another thing is to play with her and talk to her without mentioning the baby. Give her one on one time with just you. It really does sound like she feels left out although I'm sure you're not doing so purposefully... it can be hard juggling a pregnancy and a 4 year old. I do not agree with time-outs with this.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 7:22 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• im was having the same problem and i have discipline and boundries sometimes its not about about how you punish them my three year old is a good girl and she knows the rule but to me it seems like she feels left out because im having a new baby so she was doing things she knows will get my attention so i dont punish her i just involve her more ,when im setting up for the baby i have her help me, i have her pick out the babies clothes and she even helped me pack my hospitable bag i found that involving her more has really helped and made her more comfortable with having a new baby
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 7:28 PM on Feb. 8, 2009