Is this fair or not?

I mostly pay for everything for my daughter, I buy her clothing and toys. The only time her daddy buys anything for is really is around the holidays and for her birthday. And he pays for half of her day care. But he still thinks that half of my income tax money is his because he is the father to her. I guess it might just be me but I don't feel like its fair.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Oct. 3, 2012 in General Parenting

• No, it's not. Why would it be?
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:24 AM on Oct. 3, 2012

• It's YOUR income tax return, not his and not your daughter's. That's how I see it, anyway.
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 10:28 AM on Oct. 3, 2012

• It's not fair ! It is YOUR income tax return. If you aren't married/ live together, he has no claim to it !
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 10:30 AM on Oct. 3, 2012

• Are you divorced? Why do you not have a child support order of some sort? Most of the time when you do it THROUGH the courts they will write a decree who gets to claim the child, a lot of time this is every other year, but if you have nothing legal in place you get the income tax declaration.
    PS--I would be getting with a lawyer.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:33 AM on Oct. 3, 2012

• No, it's not.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:34 AM on Oct. 3, 2012

• I think what he's trying to do is claim that he's entitled to half of your child credit. Which is he is not. If you are the custodial parent, it's all yours. Any attorney will tell you that.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:35 AM on Oct. 3, 2012

• well the things is, we live together but we are not married.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Oct. 3, 2012

• I don't think he deserves any of your tax return. Otherwise, I don't have enough info to say what is fair or not. Who pays rent? Who pays utilities? Who pays for food? Car? Insurance?

Oh, and life isn't fair.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:40 AM on Oct. 3, 2012

• He pays the house payment, and gas sometimes. I pay for food, her insurance, my car and car insurance.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Oct. 3, 2012

• YOU live together? Do you want to be married to him? I would assume you should operate as a family, and when you do your taxes figure it both ways and see what way works out to your advantage as a FAMILY,, if he is paying the house payment, he is contributing to your daughter and you! You original question made it seem like you all were not together, but you are,, I think you are playing too much tit for tat here.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:51 AM on Oct. 3, 2012