How soon should an allergic reaction subside?

My daughter broke out with little spots all over her neck and torso yesterday morning. She started Amoxicillin the morning before. I assume it's a reaction to the medication because it does not resemble chicken pox, or any other illness. She's been off the medication since Friday night, but the spots have not improved (nor gotten worse). If it were a reaction to the medication, should it have subsided by now?

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 7:25 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• not necessarily, most allergens can live in the body for about three days...give or take a day or two depending on the person and allergy. call your pedi and ask about giving her some benadryl or an oral steriod to help her along.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 8:28 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I agree with the post above. Call and see about some Benadryl. Are you sure it was the meds? My son had taken Amoxil for about 5 yrs before one ear infection at the age of 6 he broke out in hives all over his body. You can develop an allergy at any time even if you never had a reaction to something before.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:57 PM on Feb. 9, 2009