Has anyones 3 year old had their tonsils and adnoids removed?

My dd is 3 and has a lot of ear infections so she will be getting tubes for the 2nd time but now they are telling me that her adnoids and tonsils are enlarged and they want to remove them also, I am not sure I am going to go through with this. I just wanted to know other peoples experiences and what to expect?

mommygirls2

Asked by mommygirls2 at 7:28 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would think it would be better for her so she doesn't have any future problems. She will probably be sick constantly if you don't get them removed. HOwever I have never had to go through this so I don't know exactly how you feel, I'm sure pretty worried. So good luck with whatever you decide. I hope she feels better.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 7:31 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• My friends daughter is 2 1/2 and she had hers removed a couple of months ago. After her recovery (about 1-2 weeks) there was a HUGE difference in her. She was suddenly a different child..in a good way. Good Luck!
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 7:31 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• My 24yo DD at age 4 had them out. She had the same procedure as what your talking about .It helped her a lot. She could hear better and talk better and she stopped having so many ear infections.

Answer by louise2 at 7:36 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• My son was a year old when he had his first set of tubes. He was 2 yo when he had his second set and his adenoids removed at that time, also. He didn't have to have his tonsils removed but if your doctor is recommending it, it probably would'nt be a bad idea. However, when I was 37 yo I had strep throat and ended up having to have my tonsils out. Believe me, it's no fun when you're 37!! Your 3 yo will do much better all at the same time.
    KellyRene829

Answer by KellyRene829 at 8:00 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• My neighbor's 3 yo had his adenoids and tonsils removed - he had sleep apnea, hearing and speech problems. After they were removed, EVERYTHING improved and he could hear better than his mom! His speech improved greatly once he was able to hear better and get a better night's sleep.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 8:08 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• My sister's son had it done when he was just 22 months old. He got through it all just fine (other than a little bit of freaking out when waking up from the anesthesia) and did a lot better as far as being able to breath and stuff. His adenoids were HUGE and he wasn't able to breathe through his nose AT ALL.
    simplyjaneen

Answer by simplyjaneen at 11:24 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Both my boys had thier tonsils and adenoid (there's only one) out and my eldest son has had 4 sets of tubes. Really the worst part of it is when they came out of anesthsia. I don't know if they still keep them overnight, but they did if they were under 4 back then (about 6-7 years ago). With my youngest son, they said it was the biggest adenoid they had ever seen. I am so glad that they both have had this done. Do not regret it at all. Much easier when they are younger. I wish they would have done it for me when i was little because those are still trouble areas for me.
    homom

Answer by homom at 1:45 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I am a surgical technician, and I have assisted with many of these procedures on young children. Doing PE Tubes and taking out the tonsils/adnoids at the same time will make it so the child doest have to come back for surgery again in a few months. Before a doctor will take out a childs tonsils/adnoids they normaly wait untill the problem has occured more then three times in a year. If a child is already going in for surgery though, they will combine the procedures to lessen the burden on the child and family.
    Mistika

Answer by Mistika at 12:36 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Mine were not removed....but I wish my parents would have. I still get tonsilitis at times and I am 33. Also, way less drastic than tubes or removing the tonsils and adnoids....we took our daughter to the chiropractor a few times when she was 4 or 5 years old and he adjusted her....never another ear infection, fluid in the ears, sinus infection...nothing....she's a teenager now.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 5:32 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I should have added that her ears were so bad, she failed the hearing test completely. Hope it helps.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 5:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2009