Kid's who get the Croup alot?

My 7 yr old daughter get's the croup atleast three times a year she doesn't have asthma but she is allergic to grass and mold we just had her allergy test done...So she is on a nasal spray daily...I just don't understand why she get's the croup so easy...Anyone else's child like this and i do know how to treat the croup we do the breathing treatment, and the steriod to open up her airway's...

WvMommyof3

Asked by WvMommyof3 at 7:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Yes my daughter is 2 and has had croup many times ,but she has the asthma as well ,we are going to take her to allergist to get testing done to see if we can find some trigger.
    MOMMYTO5CUTIES

Answer by MOMMYTO5CUTIES at 8:32 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Mine too. My son just turned three, but this past year I took him in for croup two times in a three month period. He has asthma.. but I do wonder why does it elevate so quickly from a cold cough to that horrible seal cough like they call it, I hate it! It scares me and from now on the minute I start hearing him cough I pull out the breathing machine or call his pedi for an antiobitic because he has gotten hospitalized both times for the croup and I have other kids so that makes it hard for me with the whole hospital stay and getting sitters for the others.
    my4kids123

Answer by my4kids123 at 8:45 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Croup is a cold virus that settles in the throat. When you get a cold and have a sore throat, or laryngitis...that's the adult version of croup.

If she is getting croup several times a year, and is still getting the barking cough at night, etc...then (based on what I know) it sounds like she just has a narrower wind pipe than others her age.

Croup doesn't have anything to do with asthma or bronchiolitis. If asthma flares up, it's from the cold in general, not croup specifically.

My oldest gets croupy all the time...and every cold seemed to be croup when he was a toddler. He's never had bronchiolitis and doesn't have asthma.

My middle son has had it a couple of times, once requiring an ER visit. Never had bronchiolitis and doesn't have asthma.

My youngest has had croup a couple of times, and he HAS had bronchiolitis, RSV and does have asthma.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:39 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I have 5 kids and our 4th is our croupy kid. My ped says some kids are just more prone to it than others. Just run a cool mist vaporizer in his room and watch his breathing. Babies are the scary ones for croup because it can cause such a restriction in the air way. Kids you rarely see struggle to breathe due to croup. Our Pulmonologist says don't give cold things like ice cream as it makes the cough worse...warm apple juice really works for us.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:54 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I would think diet is an important aspect in this.

I completely got rid of my asthma and allergies through changing my diet.

I cut out dairy and meat and then started to eat lots of fruits and greens.

I would suggest getting your daughter to drink green smoothies daily and start cutting down dairy or out completely. I think dairy is a lot worse than meat and it wasnt until I eradicated dairy that I saw the most dramatic difference. I still had flare ups until I started incorporating green smoothies and plenty of fruit daily.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• I just want to clarify my answer since it sounded like I said my sons' croup turned into bronchitis.

When my son was younger he use to get constant croup. Quite a few times a year. Then as he got older his coughs became wheezier and we were then being told he has bronchitis ( 7 times last year) when we would go in. After a year of that we are on the asthma trail....he has already been told RAD last time. We have noticed a huge improvement in cutting out his food allergens.

Did you do a food allergy panel too ?

I don't think it's far fetched at her age to have more going on.

J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 6:05 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• You treat croup the same you do for a cold....with one HUGE exception. Do NOT give cold medications!!! They dry the kids out and that makes the croup worse!!

Cool mist or steam humidifier in the room (depends which one works better for the individual)

Steam in the bathroom during an attack...if after 20 minutes there has been no improvement, then go stand in front of the open freezer for the cool air.

Keep the head elevated.

During a croup attack, do what you can to keep them calm. The crying because it hurts to cough makes them cough more which makes them cry more.....nasty pattern.

If they have stridor and it doesn't let up, call the doctor. If they are having difficulty breathing with the stridor, take them in to the ER....

The worst of croup is the first 3 days. Once the croup cough is gone, treat the cold as you normally would. Croup is a specific virus. It has nothing to do with allergies.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:38 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• All you have to do is a quick google search to find that yes certain episodes of croup can be caused by allergies. This is different from viral croup.

"Children who repeatedly suffer from the croup are considered to have spasmodic croup. This is an allergy induced croup cough brought on by a child’s seasonal allergies. "

Even the American Academy of Pediatrics DOES list allergies as a cause for croup :

http://www.aap.org/publiced/BR_Croup.htm

So OP you are not wrong in thinking there could be more going on. It's possible especially due to her age of 7( croup is most common under 5) and with a history of environmental allergies. Every child IS different, but like a couple of the posters said their children do have asthma or allergies and frequenlty get croup. Getting her allergies under control and ruling out asthma could only help her frequent coughs. It's not going to hurt.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 4:21 AM on Feb. 10, 2009

• My daughter was like this until almost 5. She has not had to go to the ER since then. She still gets the croup cough sound a couple times a year but she does not need any intervention. I notice that it sounds worse at night but after being up for a 1/2 hour it goes away. The last time we went to the ER she just needed the moist air. She had an x-ray when she was 2 and it showed a narrow airway. The MD said she would grow out of the problem as she got older.
    jthor

Answer by jthor at 9:30 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• my kids were always sick - this year they are less sick. I give them 1 oz of bb - a whole food liquid organic supplement. Endorced by over 6000 doctors - I haven't had to give them breathing treatments in 9 + months and my middle son suffered from chronic diahrea since he was 1 1/2 and he has gained 2 lbs in 3 mon. and is 95% better.

my web-site www.Healthy4body.com I give them 1 oz a day. there is also a live doctors call every thursday night - I can give you that information as well just pm me.

I also had 15 years of abnormal paps - I just got a normal one. I have been taking 4 oz for 11 mo.

Sandy
    nma928

Answer by nma928 at 1:06 AM on Feb. 21, 2009