Has anyone taken anti-depressants while they were pregnant?

I am 24 weeks pregnant and severely depressed. My fiance doesnt cant even be around me right now. I cry hysterically all the time, have violent screaming tantrums. I dont know what is wrong with me-and I dont like what I am doing. I feel like a horrible person, I just want to enjoy being pregnant, but I cant. I am at my breaking point and plan on calling doc in the morning.
Please give advice!!!

andrea5979

Asked by andrea5979 at 7:46 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• my doc put me on prozac when i was prego and its safe my girl is just fine..
    Anonymous

• The info that came with the antidepressants I was perscribed said that it could cause birth defects in the first 12 weeks, that was for Zoloft.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 8:22 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I did. It is one of the least safe ones to take in pregnancy (we didn't know that then, it was new and not a lot of data)- and he is fine. There are risks to all drugs- heck, Tylenol is in the top 5 drugs for causing death due to overdose. But my OB will tell you that being depressed like it sounds you are, is more dangerous than almost any antidepressant- and most are amongst the safer drugs. NOT taking drugs can often be risky, but there is no scary drug label on not taking anything.

Talk to your doctor and good luck! Give the dugs 2-3 weeks to take effect and feel better soon!

Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:29 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Honey, PLEASE talk to your doctor. It's true, that being depressed during pregancy is more dangerous than taking meds. I took Effexor XR throughout my entire first pregnancy (had been on it for 5 years by that point), and my daughter came out perfect. I'm still on it with this pregnancy. I'm so sorry you're struggling. I have suffered from clinical depression (diagnosed as major recurrent depression) for over a decade, and the meds saved my life. Please talk to your doctor and ask to be referred to a psychiatrist who specializes or has an interest in pregnancy and post-partum issues. They'll know one, for sure. Best wishes!!
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 9:06 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• When I was pregnant, my doc said Ativan was a choice, though not an antidepressant, he said it was safer cause it wouldn't cross the placenta. Just a suggestion.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:19 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I am on wellbutrin and the dr told me that it is better for the mother not to be depressed. I was on zoloft with my first pregnancy. Your relationship with your fiance could be ruined if you don't get some help. I say that because my husband was losing it for a while and I was thinking of leaving. I could not stand it, and neither could my daughter. He is doing awesome now and is a wonderful husband. Sometimes things are just out of balance.
    Stacey
    stassy77

Answer by stassy77 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 13, 2009