Is "geek" an offensive term, keeping in mind it's one the child uses to refer to himself?

I find it funny, since this is one of those cases where it's someone who doesn't have any kids of her own talking, or rather, lecturing, about what is or isn't good for the well-being of a child. The topic of proud geeks came up, and she went on a tear about how you should never call a child a geek because it's labeling them, and you should never label any child. The fact that it's the kids calling themselves geeks, being proud of the fact that they're geeks, and reveling in geek culture is irrelevant.

Will a child be irreparably harmed by calling himself a geek, or, in turn, by his or her parent repeating it with a smile on their face?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:12 PM on Oct. 3, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• I think you are on the right track,, if it was said Like "I am proud to be a computer geek" hooray,, if it in I can't do anything right, I am such a geek, not so good,, I am on the OP those who have no children should Mind their business.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:14 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• I don;t think so there are a good many people who call themselves geeks quite proudly.
    I must say I am envious of my geek husband. He is a computer genius and I am ,uh, challendged.
    That never stopped him from playing football or doing other "manly" things.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:16 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• Geek used to be a mean word, but lately it seems it's become an "in vogue" way of describing someone. I know plenty of people who are self-described geeks. Whether it's in reference to computers, comic books, reading a lot, whatever, it seems it's become a good thing. I tend to find so-called geeks pretty sexy (well, minus the pocket protector and taped black frame glasses! lmao).

I think if the child is describing themselves that way, and happily doing so, it's not going to hurt them one bit. It's when someone else calls you a name and you take it in a derogatory way that it's a problem. I try to teach my sons to take the power of a word away from someone. When someone calls me a bitch, I say "thank you." :) I know they mean it to hurt me, and I refuse to let them. I'd rather be a bitch by standing up for myself, my kids, or my beliefs, than a "nice girl" who gets trampled on. And it drives the name caller nuts. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:16 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• If he is proud to be one then I dont find it bad if he do not like to be call that then it should be stop. I take it as "I am smart and proud of that"
    Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 2:16 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• I think for the most part it should be perfectly fine...my daughter refers to herself as one...*in a good way*

this person sounds clue-less and attempting to be overly helpful
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:16 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• I terms of our house, he refers to himself as "the ubergeek" and we, in turn, use that to refer to him as well. A part of me wonders if I had told her that before she'd made her grand sweeping statement, if she still would've said it, but as it is, she seemed very adamant about it. She was so busy with the proclamation, I don't think it occurred to her that about half the people in the room with her were parents.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• well..she has no kids of her own. end of story.
    its like me telling a man how an erection feels inside a tight vagina.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• DH and I have been geeks for all our life, Very smart when it comes to technology , that is what it is used for, or an expert in ones field . When someone refers to me that way I realize they cant compete with me in my field which is computers, Not offended just have to take it slower with them.
    mto3821

Answer by mto3821 at 2:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• My daughter is a happy geek and has no problem calling herself one. She is a geek. She is 100% me. We are geeks. She also said we was part of the "nerd herd" when she was in the G&T class.

The geek shall inherit the earth!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

Answer by dullscissors 3 minutes ago

LMAO!

She should work for CPS and tell parents how easy it is and how calm they can ALWAYS be. I love when people with no kids tell us what is right/wrong. LOL! Stupid asses.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2012