What is the doctrine of atheism?

If atheism is this organized force which can influence the world, it must have some set of rules that are universally accepted by all atheists everywhere. Like in Christianity - you must believe there was a man named Jesus and that he was a Savior. In Judaism, you must believe in the god of Abraham. In Wicca you must do no harm.

Where's the atheist "rule" that has been acknowledged and agreed upon by everyone who claims atheism, thereby organizing them into a group rather than millions of random people who share a trait? What book or website does every atheist refer to as the source of the rule(s)? (along the lines of the Bible or the Rede)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2012 in Religious Debate

• As far as I know, there isn't one. In terms of rules, I'd say the only one is "Don't believe in G(g)od." since the definition of atheist is not believing in G(g)od. There's no doctrine because it's not a religion. As far as I know, it's only a group in the same sense that white people are a group, or an entire group of people are a generation: they share some characteristics, but they don't "join" a group.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:57 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• Okay, I think you're missing the whole point about atheism. We don't all follow some master leader and believe what he says. There is no holy (or unholy) book that we turn to for guidance. There are no lessons for us to get together and learn. In fact, atheists I know kind of all have developed their own take on the topics of morality and social duty and all those other things that most religions have rules/guides on, and we sometimes disagree on some points. Most of our self-formed rules and morals are somewhat based on the morals, events and ideas we have grown up and lived around... including ideas borrowed or adapted from organized religions (like the Golden Rule for me).

There is just this: if you don't believe that God exists (any God), then you are an atheist.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 4:12 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• Okay, I think you're missing the whole point about atheism.

ROFLMAO, nope, I think you just missed the point of the post.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• ROFLMAO, nope, I think you just missed the point of the post.

LMAO.... I wish I could vote up OP answers sometimes... this is one of those times!! LOL

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:36 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• We have mind powers where we can read each others thoughts and agree silently as to how we should dictate others' live their lives:)
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:03 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• I have to agree. Seebie you are simply missing the point of this post. NP is well aware of Atheists not having any actual doctrines. This was a spin off of a previous post by a very vehemently ignorant Catholic that tries to demonize Atheists any chance she can and who doesn't know the difference between politics and religion.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:04 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• Oh wait I know-we are all morally corrupt! And out to corrupt the poor religious folk of the world. wahhh haaaaahaaahaaa!
    All agreed? Say "aye!"
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:05 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• Now for my fun sarcastic answers. Obviously our doctrine is to force everyone to be atheist by banning all religion as well as force them to be gay and have abortions (yes even the men) because we're nothing but a bunch of bacon loving commies that hate religion. We get our amazing superpowers of precognition and telepathy from a flying blob of Italian pasta
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:06 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• lmao kristi. HEY I'm having pasta tonight. I shall honor the pasta king with every mouthful as my corruption seeps through my doors and out onto the streets waiting to prey on all the innocent "moral" people of the land.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:09 PM on Oct. 3, 2012