What if?

So I was looking at some old videos the other day. Watching videos of Elvis, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, etc. And I got to thinking....

There's always been speculation that Elvis didn't really die. And for a while there was speculation that Jim Morrison didn't really die because there was no autopsy and Pam Courson's story changed, etc.

All that has died now, but I got to thinking....what if, after all these years, it were to come out that Elvis or Jim Morrison was actually still alive? Do you think there'd be a big deal about it? Or do you think, since they've been "dead" for so long that no one would really care and just be like "oh, cool" and go back to what they were doing?

I'm also wondering, if there was a big deal about it, where would that big deal be, do you think? Would it be among those people old enough to have lived and seen them perform and remember them? Or do you think enough younger people have heard of them that they would be shocked and amazed as well?

And no, I don't think it would happen. I just had a random thought while working on a book and it got me wondering.

wendythewriter

Asked by wendythewriter at 3:54 PM on Oct. 3, 2012 in Entertainment

• I think it would be a big deal if we learned any of them WERE alive somewhere...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:00 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• Oh I thik some of us would be excited at least for a bit and then we would see that they no longer could perform the way the didbefore (age) and certainly don't look the same. And it would die down.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:15 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• There are plenty of baby boomers who would make a huge deal out of it. But given Elvis would be 77 now and Jim 69, I doubt the younger generation would get as caught up in it.

People claimed Hitler was alive for a long time, too.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• Ok, so another question then: How would you feel? Would you feel betrayed, that they'd faked their death, that they'd "cheated" you out of performances when they were still on top? Or would you just be excited because they weren't actually dead?

And what if, say in the example of Jim Morrison (who never really wanted to be a star), they admitted that the whole reason they did it was to get out of the public eye, that they hated the stardom, hated the fans, didn't want to be in the limelight, and so on? Would that make you angry or would be able to feel somewhat sympathetic?
    wendythewriter

Comment by wendythewriter (original poster) at 4:26 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• I think it would be a big deal, but terrible for whichever undead one it was. It would be like any of those "where are they now" specials where you find out the teen idol grew up to be a meth head or 300 lb hoarder. Only worse, because they are remembered in a particular state - same would be true for someone like Kurt Cobain or River Phoenix.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:26 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• It would be a big deal to some. I wonder if anyone would recognize them?
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:06 PM on Oct. 6, 2012