How can I keep my house clean!?!?

We live in a 3 bedroom 2 bath condo. My sis lives with us so it is me, my hubby, her, and my son who is 1 years old. I feel overwhelmed with house work!! Dishes in the sink, laundry sitting in baskets and toys everywhere. My sister works, my husband works, I stay at home. I feel like I am the only one who cleans, and if I don't do it, it won't get done. It's hard for me, cause if I clean one thing, my son is tearing up another thing. I hate to have him penned up in his play pen I want him to run around but I can't get anything done! How do you mommies keep your hime clean? And how can I ask my hubby and sis for help without sounding "bitchy"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Home & Garden

• tell them how you feel, ask them to pick up after themselves if they dont throw it away...thats what I did to all 3 of my kids and my hubby, they pick up now lol
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I think kida will be kids and as they get older the bigger the mess i have a 2 1/2 year old and a 7 month old i say when Kayley plays its like a hurricane ,but cleaning your house when you have young children is like shoveling the snow when it is still snowing its never done. I think you have to be honest with your husband and sister they are grown up although you are home all day a one year old is a full time job and you need help with to keep the house presentable. I have to get on my husband about helping out we both work full time but it seems i do the brunt of it and sometimes i feel overwelmed by it but i still have to remind it that i can only handle so much and keep the kids busy. I think sometimes people just need a reality check. Good luck
    shames85

Answer by shames85 at 8:37 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I have a little pattern that keeps things pretty tidy; it's never perfect but I never feel overwhelmed. I will do one load of laundrey everyday as opposed to the "end of the week mountain" of laundrey. At first I thought that I would feel like I was always doing laundrey, but I actual feel like I never do it since the machines do all the work and folding and putting away one load literally takes 5 min. I also clean the kitchen every morning, which makes my day run smoother...I don't clean it after dinner though. After being in the kitchen cooking for an hour, I don't feel like doing it and just put away the perishables and all the dishes in the sink for the next morning. I vaccuum every evening after my daughter has played all day; and I make her pick up her toys (which she is 3 and can do; your child can start to learn although he won't be too productive). Bathrooms and Beds every Friday. Following this really helps;good luck
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 8:41 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• oh yeah, I would never throw away a babys toys that can not understand and pick up after themselves, I was talking about sis and hubbys stuff, my kids are 7,9,16 so yeah they can pick up..if they dont yep it goes in the trash but not at age one, I didnt start it with them until age 5 or so and it was always after they were told to pick up and had plenty of time to do so..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:46 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• you can try talking to them, but my guess would be that like most families where the mom stays at home, they think that it is your job to take care of the house and the kids, and them with the cooking and cleaning. I am not saying this is right by a long shot but just that is prob what they think. I would totally recommend FLYlady.com I was lead to it when I felt the same as you trying to work 4 hours a day and do all of the SAHM stuff i had been doing before I took the PT job to help with bills and regain my sanity. I love it, it helps you develop a plan using baby steps, it is low pressure, fun, and it even helps with meal planing and shopping lists and such . I really recomend giving it a look.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 8:48 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• They assume that since they both work all day that they should not be responsible for housework, since you are home all day even though you also have a child to look after. They should clean up after themselves. You are in charge of the household cleaning and upkeep, but you are not their personal servant. Whether you do their laundry is up for negotiation, but they should at the very minimum put their laundry in the proper container. They should not leave their dishes in the sink for you to deal with- they should either put them in the dishwasher or wash them. If your sister has a bathroom to herself, she should be responsible for cleaning it. As far as the toys all over, this is your responsibility if you are the one in charge of the child at that time. If they are in charge, then they are responsible.

Answer by Bmat at 8:55 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• ITs just my husband, one year old daughter and I in my house, but I have a hard time as well. I do all the cleaningof the kitchen, bathroom and bedrooms when she is awake. And I wash and dry the laundry when she is awake. I dont bother the living room until she goes to bed because she would pull everything right back out.
    I found it easy to make a chore chart for myself. Each day I have a certain room to deep clean. And I take 10 mins to run through and pick up from the rooms not on the list for that day. I live in a small apartment, so my problem is clutter. I battle that constantly! Good luck and I hope you get some help!
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 8:34 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Completely babyproof your boys room so he will have plenty of room and plenty of things to keep him occupied for a few minutes at a time while you get one thing then another done.. That's what we did. If you cannot directly supervise your child, he should be "penned" LOL. They also have a really adjustable play yard that is HUGE at amazon.com. You can even buy extra sections to snap on. It can be taken outside and everything. I loved ours. As far as cleaning, you can make your home "self-cleaning" by checking out www.flylady.net. Flylady system really works! Good luck :)
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 4:12 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Just call Calgon to take you away like I do....lol...Just kidding. I feel the same way. Seems the more I clean, the more my kids(3) mess. They share chores, but things still are out of whack. Wish I could help.
    marlarrie

Answer by marlarrie at 6:06 PM on Feb. 9, 2009

• There is one answer to your problem, seriously... Get organized, get rid of stuff you really don't need, keep organized, get everyone in the habit of cleaning up after self. Well ok that was a few answers for ya lol. HONEST though, organization is a huge key to eliminating extra work.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 3:16 AM on Feb. 10, 2009