Sitting up?

When did your child start sitting up by themselves? And how did you encourage the process?

CassCass

Asked by CassCass at 9:03 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine just started within the last week to get into a sitting position on her own. She gets on all fours and then starts to get on her side and voila she sits. If you are talking about just sitting try the tripod position with the legs out to the side and the hands on the floor balancing the baby in front of them. put a few toy there and help support if your LO starts to fall. Good luck. These milestones are so much fun.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• My oldest son sat up on his own at 8 months old I usually just sat him up with me and occasionally lifted my hands away and he would sit there for a few seconds and begin to fall. I find doing floor time activities are really good like puzzles, cars.. ect stuff that they need to sit up for to do. Hold them up while they are sitting and playing and as I said before lift your ands away so they are supporting themselves and they will eventually learn how to hold themselves up. But it also depends on weither their ready or not. My youngest is 9 months and only sits for a few seconds on his own. But he was 5 weeks early. Please let me know how it goes, Goodluck.
    Mumma07

Answer by Mumma07 at 9:07 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Well, my son is just starting to sit up. Early in the week, he was still tipping backwards when I sat him up, but now he has figured out that his hands can catch him and he uses one hand to the side to keep himself from falling, but he is sitting up all by himself now! He loves to play with his toys in front of him now!
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 9:20 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• about 2 weeks before 6 months he could sit up if you put him that way and stay up. we play on the floor alot so we would just sit him up and help him balance a little....he als had a bumbo (but he hated it most of the time.) He is almost 7 months now is just starting to sit up from laying down....
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 9:15 AM on Feb. 9, 2009