How can I motivate my son. He is in 10th. Grade and he seems like nothing interests him.mhe used to be an "A" student but since couple of year s I've noticed a decline on everything he does. He is in Marching band, he plays the alto sax. But his grades are not picking up. He just told me that Geometry is boring. I don't know what to do anymore. He takes advance classes, and another extra class outside school for Math. Can someone tell me what can I do to help him?

GARMAN316

Asked by GARMAN316 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 3, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• I would call and speak with his guidance counselor. He might be bored, which isn't necessarily a good way to get good grades. Depending on where he is in the school year maybe he can test out of geometry and go straight to the next class.

My son is bored in geometry and his teacher gives him extra work to keep him on track. My son decided against the testing out option because he felt that he knew 90% of the geometry, but was so hot on actually doing the proofs (which are now boring) and circles were new. He is just biding his time until calculus, where he might learn something he hasn't taught himself from Khahn Academy.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• You can just put a couple words up there and maybe a ??... then type the rest in that HUGE space below it....

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• Have you thought about asking him what does he want? Or perhaps a bit of mild depression? He also may be being bullied or something like that? Does the things he used to like does not interest him anymore, or just the school stuff?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:06 AM on Oct. 4, 2012

• I would ask for a teacher conference and find out what is going on.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 6, 2012