Take the spot or leave it for somebody more severe?

When my son turns three next year we have a spot on the waitlist for the autism preschool. Back when we got on the list DS was 17 months and had regressed considerable in his speech(he had been advanced and then lost even mom and dad). He's 27 months and is talking quite a bit,his eye contact has gotten better and as long as he isn't very engrossed in something he's starting to look when you call his name. He still lacks stranger danger or seemingly much of a sense of pain,he still has some issues with self-injury when REALLY upset and is really fond rapping himself in fleece blankets at all hours especially when stressed. So he still has some signs but I think we're dealing more with that he's just an aspie like my husband. So yes it takes understanding and patience with maybe some therapy in the long run but doesn't seem to need intensive therapy.

The preschool only has 15 spots and it seems like somebody more severe might benefit from that more from a specialized preschool. I figure we'd just find a preschool that will tolerate his blanket(I'm working on turning some into more of a poncho that he can wear), be patient with his never ending energy and be patient with both his don't touch me moments and his clingy ones.

Sound like a good idea or should we hold our spot because they can probably be more tolerant with his autistic moments?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 11:46 PM on Oct. 3, 2012 in General Parenting

• Hold the spot if you might need it. If you don't, someone else will be moved into it if you decide not to use it.  There are weighted vests that might work for your child.

Anonymous

• Weighted vests? What does that do?
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 11:51 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• Worry about your kid. Not the "others".
    You must be his best advocate without consideration of how it affects others. Giving up this spot could have long term affects not easily recognizable at this early age.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:55 PM on Oct. 3, 2012

• http://autism.lovetoknow.com/Autism_Weighted_Vest

you said he wraps himself in a blanket when stressed.  In a school setting, a weighted vest will do the job and not hinder ability to use his hands.

Anonymous

• I would do anything just yet.
    You might want to tak him and have him reevaluated.
    I do not mean to sound callus but you have waited for that spot and if it will benefit your son. I would take it. I would not think of who might be waiting in line and if the might need it more. Because there is always sme one needier, always and your sone would never get the help.
    I have taken my meds for the night and I sorry if I am unclear.
    Just take your time.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:05 AM on Oct. 4, 2012

• You are your son's advocate. You need to think of him and not of others - their parents are there to look out for them. Keep that spot because your son will do so much better in an adapted preschool that it would be wrong to deprive him of it.

Thinking that someone else might need the spot more than you is doing a disservice to your son. You should not feel guilty about this. You are there to ensure he gets the best for his needs - fight for him! I found that I thought like you when my child was very small and then, when I realized how hard it is to get places in appropriate structures I started fighting for her because if I didn't nobody else would.

Good luck!
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 7:42 AM on Oct. 4, 2012

• Take the spot. Even though he's showing signs of being better than he was, he'll still benefit.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:25 AM on Oct. 4, 2012

• I would hold that spot for your son. You never know it may be beneficial to him in ways you never thought of.

booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 5:22 PM on Oct. 4, 2012