For those of you with four kids or more what are your tips on how to make it work financially?

Any tips or secrets of how to make it easier to feed, clothe, do activities together without breaking the bank?

I only have two kids right now but we are considering more and was just curious for future knowledge?

Also, how old are your kids and do they seem to like having lots of siblings? I know a few people with lots of siblings and they love it and some who wish they had been an only child lol.

rockabell.2009

Asked by rockabell.2009 at 7:08 AM on Oct. 4, 2012 in General Parenting

• If you can not afford more kids. Do not have them. Why make the kids you have suffer.

Answer by louise2 at 7:28 AM on Oct. 4, 2012

• I have five ( 6 if you include sil, which we will because his lazy ass is forever here eating n using our shit lol) they are sil 20,dd 18, 13,7,3 and 9 months. We spend around 1,000.00 a month on groceries , diapers, formula & paper products. We have a four bed three bath house, girls are in one room ( huge) and boys have separate rooms. Is it chaotic, absolutely. We save to do big fun things but my kids are just as happy to throw skateboards bikes etc and food into my truck and spend the day at the park.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 7:40 AM on Oct. 4, 2012

• I didn't say i couldn't afford more kids. We can afford it, but even if you can afford it why wouldn't you want to find ways to make it cheaper? That would be liking having a $100 to buy a pair of shoes you have been wanting and not using a $10 off coupon just because you have enough money to buy them....cheaper is cheaper if i can find a way to save i will but that doesn't mean i can't make it if i dont is all.
    rockabell.2009

Comment by rockabell.2009 (original poster) at 7:54 AM on Oct. 4, 2012

• I am one of three kids things were tight some time, but i never suffered and i loved my brother and sister I wish i would of had more siblings. My DD isn't picky she is pretty content at the park or in the back yard playing as well.
    rockabell.2009

Comment by rockabell.2009 (original poster) at 7:57 AM on Oct. 4, 2012

• We have five children (ages almost 7 to almost 1). I WISH I could feed them for $50 a week, and maybe that would be possible if I bought packaged stuff. I cook from scratch with a lot of fresh produce and spend $100 a week. We don't generally do activities that cost money - maybe a couple of times a year at most. We do get a zoo membership but we stretch it out to two years. The zoo is open spring to summer. So we get the membership halfway through the summer and use it at the beginning the following year.

You have to really evaluate needs. We just spend about $40 on our daughter's birthday yesterday. That is the most we have ever spent. We got her a gift from us and one from her brothers. The kids have a lot of toys - from grandparents and an aunt. We don't really see a need for more - so we don't spend much at birthdays and Christmas. In fact, at Christmas we get them one gift for their stocking.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:03 AM on Oct. 4, 2012

• We have decided that the experiences are more fun and more important than stuff. We play together, go to the park, go swimming, visit family, etc.

We have been given the majority of their clothes (hand-me-downs and gifts) and the rest we get at garage sales. Though I think that will be harder when they get older.

Our kids are still young, but the really enjoy each other (and fight at times - but I think that is normal!). Hopefully they will as they get older too.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:06 AM on Oct. 4, 2012

• micheledo

I love garage sales! You can find a lot of great deals and great brands sometimes :)
    rockabell.2009

Comment by rockabell.2009 (original poster) at 8:09 AM on Oct. 4, 2012

• I only have one child. I wanted my child to have plenty, private schools, trips, college & grad school paid for and new car for college. I wanted an Upper Middle Class lifestyle and I could not provide that with more than one child.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 5:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2012