how do i deal with my son being bullied?

he is almost 7, and tells me his 'friends' sometimes call him stupid, nerd, loser. i've tried the boosting confidence tactic, he is head of his class. he doesn't want me to talk to teacher or parents. i've refrained from telling him to just punch them good, because i know it's wrong, but geez! that's how i dealt with these issues as a child, and honestly it's how i feel now. i've told him to just walk away, and tell them they don't know what they're talking about. i'm really bothered that he says they are his friends. there are two kids in particular in his class that i would love for him to befriend, but apparently it's the 'bad' crowd that he's drawn to.. please help!!!

love.life

Asked by love.life at 9:32 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would talk with his teacher in private. She can probably give you more information about what goes on in class and how your son handles the other kids. She may not be aware of the name calling and would put a stop to it. Kids will be kids and name calling is, unfortuantely, one of the things kids do to each other. There are always going to be the bullies that put other kids down. I eventually told my son to punch a kid after it continued for a long time and he had tried all the things I had told him to try. I called his teacher and told her what was going on and that I told my son to punch the kid out. She said that it was needed and that she would look the other way. My son did punch him and he left him alone after that.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 9:40 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• well, my son has told me he tells the teacher and that it usually happens at recess. as for his teacher looking the other way, it won't happen. this school is big on no violence. it's in their creed. i just know that my son will find out that i talked to his teacher and will never tell me any more problems, which in my opinion is worse to me. i am all about the openess and talking about everything
    love.life

Answer by love.life at 9:44 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Your son might get mad that you talked to his teacher but he will get over it. I would just tell your son that this person is not his friend and he can either walk away or stand up to him. I have found that once they stand up for themselves the bullying stops.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:31 AM on Feb. 9, 2009