When do you think it's alright to move on up to 2nd stage foods?

Hi, this is a simple question, and I want your opinon on the question only. I have heard ENOUGH from everyone else who knows that I started my baby boy eating 1st stage baby food at 3 weeks old. He has had no allergic reactions, he doctor said he's is perfectly healthy, he's at a normal weight, so it hasn't effected him negativly, and he LOVES baby food! My question, is when you do you think I can move him to eating 2nd stage foods? I'm a bit more weary about the 2nd stage foods, because they are odd combinations, like maccaroni and cheese, things like that, but, I want to try some of the bigger jars for his lunch time meal. He's currently 7 weeks old, and eats his regular bottle meals, but gets one jar of baby food, and 4 ounces of formula max, at lunch. Please, no ragging about starting him so early, just opinons about 2nd stage food, preferably from Mother's with older children. Thanks.

KingLandon

Asked by KingLandon at 9:33 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my ds was 4 months when i started him on baby food and people gave me hell about it so dont worry you know whats best for your baby. Now my pedi told me after you have gone through all the stage1s and you are comfortable and your baby can eat well then you can move then to stage 2 my ds is now 5and ahalf and on stage two and it makes me laugh you said mac and cheese becuase he tryed that for the first time tonight and LOVED IT. So if you have gone through everything in stage 1 and your comfortable start stage two and for new things follow the 4 day rule! They really have some good flavors in stage two as well! Good Luck momma!
    serenaxxmarie

Answer by serenaxxmarie at 9:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• No judgemtn here i was giving my child cereal pretty early also as my pediatrition says i started my son on stage 2 withteh normal stuff first to make sure mixes were ok with him like plum bannana something he has had before with something new and doing a little at a time and gradually try others never tried the mac and cheese with my son i know my daughter dint like it so thats probably why i havent tried it. Not that any child is the same. Good luck and all those people giving you slack your the mom and we do what we think is right for our children I know the feeling thogh i get the gripe from many
    shames85

Answer by shames85 at 9:44 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I also started my son very early and yes than came the ragging from everyone but just ignore, everyone has ther own opinion, I would say try him see how he takes to it my dr told me to try and if he didn't gag or get an upset tummy that he would be fine, so I would suggest just try a little and see how he reacts remember no one can tell you better than your own child and yourself, your the one raising him my son was only on 1st foods for about a week then I went on to 2nd stage he is now 10 1/2mths and eating everything I do, as well as he is on homo milk.
    Anonymous

• I fed my baby REALLY early as well and i started the stage 2 foods when she was 2 1/2 months or so. the only real difference in the stage 1 and stage 2 is thickness, variety and portion size. once she warmed up to the thicker green beans, squash, ect... i moved onto the dinners one at a time. I personaly have benefited from this early eating now shes 7 months feeds herself her bottle, eats bitter biquits, cheerios, puffs, crackers and just about a taste of everything i eat (we started these at 5-6 months). she trys to feed her self, and isnt picky at all. I say go for it if you think your baby is ready...no one knows better than you!
    scanamey77

Answer by scanamey77 at 10:42 PM on Feb. 8, 2009