How do you explain to a 3 1/2 year old child who is borderline autistic that you are moving....

My son is 3 1/2 and is borderline autistic.He doesn't speak and doesn't understand alot of what I say to him. We are moving next week to a new house(which he has been to). But the problem is right now all of our stuff is boxed up and in our kitchen/dining room and he is no longer sleeping threw the night he is waking up freaking out throwing tempertantrums. His tempertantrums last for more than 1/2 the day.How do I get him to understand that everything is ok and that we are moving??He has become very very clingy and screams and crys if I go anywhere with out him.

dannyboysmom05

Asked by dannyboysmom05 at 9:46 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This is probably a very scary situation for him because everything is different. Take a picture of the new house and the room that will be his. Show him the picutre when he becomes upset. and tell him a story about moving to the new house. I think it would be helpful to read him books about moving and show him pictures of moving trucks, etc. to prepare him. Try to keep everything as normal as possible and keep his familiar things with him. He needs to know what to expect and anything visual will help with the transition.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 9:59 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I agree with Lisahi. A visual really helps children with Autism. You can also take the pictures and the story that she suggests and make a book for him to read or listen to over and over. The idea is called a social story and you can get more information on how to put one together if you google, "Social stories for children with Autism." You take pictures of the house, his room, his room with him in it, and maybe pictures of other family members, etc. He will understand better,, the more he hears about it. Be repetitive and use the visual pictures and he will do better.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 10:24 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• First, I would set his room up as close to what it was in the old house as possible. I would also read him some books about moving. However, no matter what you do, you are going to have regression. It took my son almost 6 months to acclimate when we moved when he was young. He has Aspergers. It isn't easy for them. The best thing you can do is try to maintain continuity for him. Keep everything the same that you possibly can. Keep him on the same routine, feed him the same foods at the same times. Don't give in to the other routine changes because they will make matters worse. He also needs to see you go and come back. Start with little trips. Leave him for 5 minutes with someone while you walk down the block. When you come back, let him know but don't make a huge deal about it. Work up to bigger trips. This might help with some of the anxiety. I hope it gets better for you and him.
    yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 4:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2009