Getting ready for my newborn...

How many of each of these should I have....
nuks?
packs of wipes?
packs of diapers for newborns?
receiving blankets?
burp pads?
sets of sheets?
blankets for the crib?
and anything else you suggest....?

shessohippie

Asked by shessohippie at 9:47 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How many of each of these should I have....
    nuks? bottles or pacifiers?
    packs of wipes? stock up if you can...you will use them all eventually
    packs of diapers for newborns? depends on how big your baby is...we ran out when my daughter was born because she was small.
    receiving blankets? 6-8 maybe
    burp pads? 8 or so
    sets of sheets? at least 2
    blankets for the crib? they aren't really necessary at first because they are a suffocation risk. they are just there to look pretty. i didn't use them until my daughter was much older
    and anything else you suggest....? i would have size 1 diapers available because they grow extremely fast. they also use more diapers than most people anticipate. there are lots more things you could use or want but not everything is a necessity. these are just some of my personal preferences....Good Luck!
    kaufmt0220

Answer by kaufmt0220 at 9:57 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Boppy, don't forget the baby book for the hospital so they can put the foot prints in it. I wouldn't get too may pacifiers since some babies don't like them or s/he may not like that type and they usually give you one at the hospital. A few packs of diapers and wipes to start off with (they usually send the extra home with you from the hospital too). Several recieving blankets and burp pads. A couple (2-3) crib sheets, not too many big blankets because it's recommended they not sleep with those kind but they're good to cover the car seat or put on the floor.
    Anonymous

• Nuks = pacifiers.

And thanks :)
    shessohippie

Answer by shessohippie at 10:00 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

nuks? Start with one. No guarantee baby will take it.

packs of wipes? My first instinct is "as many as you can store" but if baby'sskin is sensitive it may be a waste...start with sensitive skin ones.

packs of diapers for newborns? Two should be plenty to start with.

receiving blankets?
    burp pads?

Lots of both of these...you can't have too many.

sets of sheets?

At least two..another thing where the more the merrier.

blankets for the crib?

None. Baby's not supposed to have a blanket, as it's a SIDS risk. Blanket SLEEPERS instead.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:03 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I would buy a few different pacis and see which one the baby likes. They all have different preference even with bottles. You will always need wipes, but I would buy an inexpensive one that you think will do the job. We like the target brand they are durable and cheap. I would get at least one pack on NB diapers you may not need many--we used them for 4 months (mine was on the petite side). Always use receiving blankets, they keep baby warm and clean up spit up well. I have about 2 dozen maybe more. I don't use burp pads but I do have about 2 dozen cloth diapers they are cheap and work as well as receiving blankets. Make sure you have at least 3 sets of crib sheets and you don't really need any blankets for the crib just yet. I get as much rest as possible. Make sure you have washcloths and baby wash and lotion. I found that aveeno works the best.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:03 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I needed more space--Don't waste your money on the baby aveeno b/c it is exactly the same as the adult version and cost a ton more. Good luck with your new little one.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:04 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• nuks? Meaning pacifiers- maybe 1 to see if they even like them- you can get more later if they do

packs of wipes?1 to start off with , just in case baby has sensitive skin.

packs of diapers for newborns? Try out a couple of different brands to see what works best

receiving blankets? You can never have too many recieving blankets, they get used for everything

burp pads? Same as receiving blankets, can't have too many

sets of sheets? I have 3-4 for my toddler, it works out great

blankets for the crib? You shouldn't use blankets in the crib for a newborn because of the risk of SIDS, try sleeper blankets that the baby wears
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 10:13 PM on Feb. 8, 2009