For those of you who think?

That women applying for PA should sell all of their jewelry, nice things, etc. BEFORE applying for PA, what would you say in this case -

Let's say she received a nice piece of jewelry from someone she cared dearly about, and then that person tragically died. Would you still expect her to pawn that sentimental object before seeking help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think a responsible mother would do what it takes to feed her kids.

I agree with this, to an extent.  If my options were:  sell sentimental jewelry OR have my children starve, I would, of course, sell my jewelry.   If my options were: sell my sentimental jewelry OR sign up for PA, I'd be standing in line. 

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• its wrong if anyone thinks that anyone aplying for PA should sell off any of there stuff they had prior to going on PA,you should put there self in theese womens shoes before passing any kind of judgment or having negative views on them...
    Anonymous

• i meant to say put yourself in there shoes..
    Anonymous

• No because it doesn't matter if you have a nice piece of jewelry if you are on PA. They don't ask if you own a nice piece of jewelry.
    Anonymous

Anonymous

• Why would someone think this way? Because they have never had to seek help. What they don't realize is that the tables could turn in a matter of seconds. They could lose their only source of income due to a sudden death or tragic accident. They themselves could wind up disabled from an accident and have to be put on PA without their approval. I have a good example.. Here is a link:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/03/25/walmart.insurance.battle/index.html

Her husband had to divorce her so that she could be put on aid to take care of her growing medical bills, which were not covered.

Now, put yourself in this family's situation and say you will never be put on aid!
    Anonymous

• No, I do not think you should have to sell off anything except if you had a luxury car or if you had tons and tons of assets. Most folks don't have all that expensive stuff.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:01 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• No.
    prettylob1

Answer by prettylob1 at 10:02 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• no you shouldnt have to sell your jewlery the problem is people driving very very expensive cars and buying things they shouldnt instead of feeding their kids before trying to make themsleves look good its diff when you really need help but alot of people that do this dont need help they just dont want to chose between responsiblity and their person pleasures
    Anonymous

• No...not sentimental jewelry. BUT...playing the devil's advocate......in case of those times when a parent has exhausted ALL of their resources....YES! It happens...the ones who automatically say NO.... I assume....have not been in that position. You do what it takes to feed or clothe your babies. Period!

There are various situations...what if the parent has no family to speak of to help....what if the parent has been at home taking care of kids..not able to further their education. Many diff situations!

Anonymous