Does anyone work at a bar?

I'm getting ready to start a new part-time job as a waitress at a bar and after learning about all the rules with the liquor license about serving I'm kinda nervous. Does anyone else bartend or serve alcohol? Do you have any advice? I guess what makes me the most nervous is the checking of the ID's. This bar has doormen that check ID, but it's the server's responsibility to check, but I've never seen a server/bartender ask for ID after a person has gotten in. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• You can usually tell if a person is old enough or not. If you have any doubts about it just ask. They can't get mad at you, and you don't want to lose your job or risk the bar losing their license. Just relax and enjoy it. I loved working at the bar, once you get to know some of the regulars it can be a lot of fun.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:53 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• OP- Thanks, I'm a really bad judge of age so I was glad that I would be working at a bar that checks at the door, but I didn't realize until I went to a class for the license (I didn't have to go but I wanted to) that it's the server that's held liable if that person is underage. I live in a college town so there's alot of using a sibling's ID and stuff like that so, I guess that's why I'm so nervous. I think it's gonna be fun working there. I've been joking saying that I'm going from going to the bar 0 times a week to 3 times a week...lol.
    Anonymous

• Yes, you will have to pay the fine if someone is underage that you serve. I just asked everyone until I got to know them. Of course, I worked in a bar where it was usually only regulars lol. Anyhow, just ask until you know the person. And remember DO NOT let them push you around or make you feel like crap for asking. If anyone refuses to let you see their ID just tell them "well then I can't serve you sorry" and walk away. I have had that happen a lot and usually by the time I make it back by their table they have their ID out. Good luck!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 10:13 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I've worked in bars since I was 18. I ask EVERYONE, its not worth it to go to jail. I don't care if they look 50, I ask them. If they are offended,too bad...I'm not risking my job,or jail! They are strict where I am.Just i.d. everyone and you won't have a problem.
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 12:49 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• Good luck...
    Shamanmom

Answer by Shamanmom at 2:20 AM on Feb. 9, 2009

• If you have any questions about your training, there is a FULL free bartending course on HomeCareerSuccess.com. Have fun!

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 6:43 PM on Feb. 9, 2009