Do you take your kids to Parent Teacher Conferences?

or rather can you? my conference is at 7:45 tonight. i get out of class at 7:15 and then i have 2 choices. i can leave my kids at my parents till after the conference and then go out of the way to go back for them (my parents live near my school) and then get them in bed about an hour later than usual.

OR

i can pick my kids up before the conference, take them with me and get them to bed about 15 mins later than usual.

DH cant watch them b/c hes in class till 10 tonight. also, my kids are well behaved and the teacher has lots of toys in her room (its Pre-K) so im not worried about them being a distraction. i just didnt know if this was something that was done.

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 11:47 AM on Oct. 4, 2012 in General Parenting

• Leave them at your parents. They do not belong at parent teacher conferences and they will be happier not being there.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:22 PM on Oct. 4, 2012

• considering i never have a babysitter, and they are usually during the day while DH is (usually) at work, yes. he always goes off to another part of the room and does his own thing.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:49 AM on Oct. 4, 2012

• If it's one on one conference, bring the kids. If it's a general conference for all parents, don't bring them.
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 11:54 AM on Oct. 4, 2012

• Mine was at 1:15 pm, while my oldest was in PE so, I had to take my almost 3 yr old with me because I don't have any family around me. If I had at 7:45 pm one, I'd have to bring both of my children. But, if I were in your shoes, I'd drop them off at your parents house.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:50 AM on Oct. 4, 2012

• That's a good question because I have a parent/teacher conference today at 3:45. School gets out at 3:30 so the only options for us are to have him go to ASP and since the ASP teacher on Thursday and my son don't get along, he will be going with me. I brought my phone for him to play games on and everything so hopefully it will be okay with the teacher.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:50 AM on Oct. 4, 2012

• I always took mine. We homeschool now, so it doesn't matter for us. I only had one teacher ever have an issue with it, and I just told her very clearly that that if she wanted to talk to me, this was how it would happen. Either she talked, or we were done. I had no one else who could watch my kids, and even if I had, it's their education, they have a right to be there and hear what's being said. They have the right to be heard too.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:51 AM on Oct. 4, 2012

• I've taken them and they've sat in an area away from where we are talking. I try to give the teacher a heads up so they know but as long as the child isn't disruptive it's no big deal.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:51 AM on Oct. 4, 2012

• My DD is in pre-K, and we took her to the last PTC because it was right at the time to pick her up. It was a group meeting, not one-on-one, and there were probably 7-8 kids total. It was distracting and hard to hear at times. It would have been better if they had a teacher assist with the kids while it was going on.

Next time we probably won't take her.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:52 AM on Oct. 4, 2012

• I went with my daughter and me and the kids played outside on the playground..... Grandma can't do the rings anymore... I had to be shown how to do them by a 6 year old.... Sigh..............
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:53 AM on Oct. 4, 2012

• I've always taken my kids, they usually have some class work or something cool ready to show the parents anyways so its nice to have my kid there and see how they interact with the teacher also.
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 11:57 AM on Oct. 4, 2012