Ear Piercing?

What is your view on ear piercings on young children 0 months-4 years? Do you think it is okay?

I am asking because for the longest time I wanted to get my DDs ears pierced. All of my friends daughters have theirs done and it look so darn cute. But then I sat down and took time to really think about it. I decided that this should be something that she chooses. My mom had my ears pierced when I was only 5 months old. And now, at 21, I hate wearing earrings unless I am going somewhere special, which isnt often. And I really wish I would have had that choice. If I did I would have never had it done.

So what is your veiw on this?

tiffers32788

Asked by tiffers32788 at 10:12 PM on Feb. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I had my ears pierced when I was three, and I loved my earrings as a kid and as a teenager. I don't wear earrings often anymore, but it's nice to have that option. Besides, if she decides she doesn't like earrings, thank goodness it's a piercing - they come out! :) If you take them out soon enough, her holes will even close up. Whatever you choose, good luck to you. They also make cute clip-ons!
    KatieBatey

Answer by KatieBatey at 10:17 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I think it looks "white trash" on a baby
    Anonymous

• I got my daughters ears pierced when she was 6 weeks. Her pediatrician did it. That young they don't notice they have earrings in. And when she gets older (she's 12) or even now, if she doesn't want to wear any earrings she simply takes them out. The holes aren't noticeable.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 10:20 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• honestly I would let her choose it when she is older. I say this because I have 2 girls ages my youngest just turned 1 and olsest will be 4 in April. I got both girls done when they were 3 months old. My oldest hates earrings she will not wear them at all. My youngest she looses them so much out of her ears when she wakes up from a nap she will be missing one. I try putting earrings back in her ears she wont let you. I have to pin her down to do it. She also ripped her earring out once not all the way a little but if I ever have another gitl I am not going to do her ears just because of these girls lol.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:22 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• anon 10:19 you dont have to be that rude about it what is the matter you PMSing you didnt have to say it like that she just asked a wuestion
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:23 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• It's all a matter of preference. I think it looks very cute, but I can understand waiting to let your daughter decide too. She won't be any less cute without earrings.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 10:26 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• Wow anon, I'm surprised you didn't say Mexican trash! I am mexican and it is a tradition (old school way) to do it with a needle and thread. Well now they do it a lot more sterilized. My mom never got around to it when I was a baby (I was the 4th daughter) but when she did I was 11 and it frickin' hurt! I wish she would have done it when I was a baby so I wouldn't remember the pain.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 10:29 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• I'm waiting until my child asks me for it. It's her body and her choice. I used to pierce ears at Claire's when I was 18, and it broke my heart to see babies get their ears pierced. I did the youngest at 1 month. You're supposed to do what the parent's say, even though the store recommends waiting until 3 months. I got my DD1's done at 3 months, and she didn't really like to wear them until recently (she's 9 now). With DD2, I will allow her to make the choice. I had mine done at 3, but I remember wanting them done.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 10:35 PM on Feb. 8, 2009

• My mom didn't have mine pierced because she wanted to wait until I was old enough to decide for myself. I was very girly and wished she had done it so I wouldv'e already had them done. You never really know what your daughter will think. I think it's really thoughtful to let your kid decide for herself though. You should wait if that's how you feel. Your daughter will appreciate that you wanted to let her have that option.
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 1:03 AM on Feb. 9, 2009