Ok I need my family for help right now but I'm going to strangle somebody.

I'm on bedrest so I need family to help me get food,to appointments,help care for my two year old,sometimes even to help me get to the toilet so I do need these people. But one more person asks me if I'm going to have this baby the right way(and if I'm sure I don't want to) or if I'm going to try breastfeeding again for longer or if I'm going to give up because I didn't "like" doing it (still won't believe me about my son's lactose intolerance even though he still is or that my meds don't mix with nursing).

How do I get through this without coming out with assault charges or furthering my reputation as the family hot head when they were"just asking a question"?
I can't go for a walk right now which is my usual calm down and get away so I need new ideas.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 12:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2012 in Pregnancy

• Do you have a headset handy or go to you tube for favorite music or hulu.com, you are at a computer. It is hard depending on others I know, Just think I need this, I have to do this and dismiss the comments from others
    mto3821

Answer by mto3821 at 12:38 PM on Oct. 4, 2012

• "The right way" is producing a live baby. How you get there isn't as important.

Tell them NO, I am NOT going to breastfeed and that is NOT going to change so STOP ASKING.

Or you can hand them a sheet of paper stating these things and that you WILL NOT be discussing them PERIOD END OF DISCUSSION.

You can also not respond when these things are said. Not one word.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2012

• Are you not answering their questions in a way that satisfies them? Not sure why they would continue to ask! It's your choice but maybe they are just concerned. Do you have questions about birth or breastfeeding? I don't know where the defensiveness/anger is coming from here- besides pregnancy hormones! Sorry you are overwhelmed!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:51 PM on Oct. 4, 2012

• @staciandababy The only way to satisfy them would be to say that I'm going to the same thing they would do. No I don't have questions. The defensiveness is coming from that I am only one of two women in the family who've ever had a c-section and I'm the first repeat,it's not a popular decision. I had family members call me a liar when I weaned my son because of his CLD. I've had a few say that I should just go off my medication.
    I just need people to let me decide how things are going to go for my children.

lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Oct. 4, 2012

• How about change the subject to something you can talk about?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:11 PM on Oct. 4, 2012

• @Dardenella Tried already.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Oct. 4, 2012

• Just don't take things personally. Let them go. And learn the art of "smile and nod" . . . that's where you smile and nod and then do things your way anyway.
    NearSeattleMom

Answer by NearSeattleMom at 1:42 PM on Oct. 4, 2012

• I would find new people to help me... but hey, that's just me. I wouldn't put up with any of that.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 2:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2012

• While I'm not a big fan of lying to family members, I would think, in this case, I would just to get them to shut the hell up!
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 6:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2012